Question Textures replacement

XenonCoder

Hi everyone! I have a problem, I created a new texture pack for Terasology, and doing a search in the various folders of the project I discovered that the tilesheet "tiles.png" inside the folder ".terasology / screenshots", actually contains all the textures of the game (I did not want to believe it, the screenshots folder?!?).

I discovered that unfortunately these textures are 32x32 while my texture pack has 16x16 textures. In my texture pack every texture has a dedicated file (example: oak_top.png).

For the first tests I decided to include a texture that I created in the original Terasology tilesheet (tiles.png). I started the game, created a "MedievalCities" map in flat mode, and then I immediately checked to see if my texture was displayed in the game, unfortunately it was not. I close the game, I go to check the tilesheet, and find that it has been completely regenerated, reset! with the only difference that instead of a wood texture now appeared the texture of the brickstone?!?

In practice every time I start the game, Terasology scans the tiles.png and regenerates it? because I have done other tests but every time the original tilesheet is regenerated.

I never ask for help, I've always learned everything by myself in 40 years, but this time I have to trust your good heart :)

I hope I was clear in the explanation, and if anyone has the solution, I beg you to answer, so I can finally test my texture pack and take screenshots in game.

Thank you all ;)

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Heya Xenon :)

I still haven't gotten around to replying to some of your other comments, but I thought I'd answer this real quick: that tile sheet is just something that gets output as a debug thing when the game runs. It isn't the source of anything, which is why changing it doesn't do anything.

The actual textures are stored inside the asset directories of the engine and assorted modules. So for instance most the basic blocks are at https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology/tree/develop/modules/Core/assets/blockTiles

They can be supplied in any resolution but powers of 2 are recommended and anything else can cause unusual behavior in some places including memory problems and even crashes. At runtime they are stitched together dynamically.

You can make texture packs by supplying "override" versions of existing textures. See https://github.com/Terasology/TutorialAssetSystem/wiki/Deltas-and-Overrides for details

XenonCoder

@Cervator Thank you for your answer.

Thank you very much, in fact I noticed most of the textures in the "core" module, but thanks to your answer now I have official confirmation.

I do not need anything else for now, insert my new textures into the "core" module, recompile everything and do in-depth testing.

Terasology has an incredible render engine! It makes everything nicer than it actually is, I'm anxious to test my textures and see the final effect.

I am working on my voxel models, do not worry about answering me, you will do it later when I have finished the first models optimized for @Florian that will be implemented in its module. Now I work a lot on the conversion and low poly optimization of my models, besides the wiki I'm writing where I insert all the work phases, my techniques, and the step by step guides on the use of the best voxel modeling softwares. Thank you.

Thanks so much :D