Archived The real "Easiest Modding Ever!" idea.

Well, the actual idea was that the only thing the modder actually has to do is editing some simple values in an downloadable xml file (health, attack power, texture and model filenames), add a model and a texture file to the zip, along with a downloadable .class file for the type of mod you want (block, mob, item). I got the idea with the xml file from the game called BattleForge, a real time strategy game where you can make your own playable maps. Quests more advanced than killing everything needs lua and xml. Lua is clearly too hard for a beginner, but editing some values in a xml file should be much more simple. The modder isn't intended to make the xml file him/herself.

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
Sounds like the suggestion just boils down to us providing some templates for prefabs of different types, which is fair enough. At the moment you can just copy prefab or definition of a similar thing from the engine or existing mods though.

Sounds like the suggestion just boils down to us providing some templates for prefabs of different types, which is fair enough. At the moment you can just copy prefab or definition of a similar thing from the engine or existing mods though.
Well, it is templates. So, can I copy and edit things to get my own working mod:pinkiehappy: , then this idea may be a little... not needed(at all).:unsure: