Archived Trees are hollow !

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hehe, another nice find - I hadn't noticed. This one I'm liable to just leave alone until the next generation of tree/growth systems roll about when somebody feels like rolling around trees :D

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
After reading that : http://www.woodspeople.net/terasology/terasology_model_description.html
I think my skills are not sufficient to really help in trees generation. :/
That's what learning over time is for. You don't have to finish it tomorrow ;)

Start small - set up for local development, fix a few typos and get used to contributing code, then fix a few small bugs, maybe tweak how the current trees are generated (make some more L-system patterns, externalize their config into data files, etc) and go from there. Maybe a few months down the road you're our growth system expert :)

So don't feel overwhelmed! Even the longest journey starts with a single step :scootangel:

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
It takes practice to bang your head against walls, and some walls are really hard. It doesn"t stop some to bang against them anyway. You gain skill by practice. Cerv is the guy trying to have us bang our heads against hard walls :derp:

edit : hach he beat me to it

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I have a rubberizer gun that can make walls really soft, but you gotta prove yourself to get a copy! :pinkiehappy:

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
yeah you give a whole new meaning to you got Cerved :p
xkcerved.png

xkcerved to the rescue.

Ten'son'

Contributor
World
Okay, let's try this ! :)

But when I say my skills are not sufficient, it's because that is the best tree generation I made :

xD

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
That looks great, just lacks textures and you have a nice world - with reflective water no less! You should talk to begla about seeing if we can put that to work in Terasology :D

Bigger fancier trees? You clearly have the skill. Just by showing your work done in that screenie you're ahead of tons of people. Don't hold yourself back by thinking you can't improve from what you've done previously :thumbsup:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hey Ten'son' - I saw you had asked a question about the tree generator on IRC recently, but I wasn't around at the time to answer and you went offline again. Been keeping an eye out for you, but haven't seen you again yet.

If you're up for giving the tree generation area a nice workout, let us know and ask some questions here if you have any, and I'll move this to the Incubator as a feature thread with you as the curator :)

Ten'son'

Contributor
World
Okay :)
I would have preferred to talk about the current tree generation in IRC but I'll try to be clear.

So, weird tree ha ?

Well NO. This is a normal tree in Terasology wich I just removed some foliage (I didn't remove any wood or add).

So, I'm looking for the "line" where the constructor of "TreeGeneratorLSystem" is called to see what is the initial axiom of the L-System, the rules, etc.
If someone could help me. :3

Also I'll need some explanations about the probabilities of the L-System (I don't know what it is. But I think that's something like the probability of having a "F". Then, sometimes the probability is too low so the wooden cube is not "drawn".)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Cool - thanks for the info. That I should be able to help find after work (at which point I can also see those images - file hosting sites are blocked here. Alternatively just attach to post instead). I'm on IRC during my work day tho, at least when I haven't been DCed by bored security dept people :D

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
To get a note in here - the constructor was discovered via IRC and all is well there. I see the images now, nice shaved trees :D

I haven't personally played with the L-System probabilities - begla put it in and will know more. But with the right spot discovered you should be able to figure it out via experimentation, which is fun anyway :cool:

By the way - Ten'son', toss a thread in the Contributor Intro forum sometime? :)

AlbireoX

Unsuccessful Javascript Evangelist
Contributor
Logistics
To get a note in here - the constructor was discovered via IRC and all is well there.
It was pure coincidence that I happened to see that constructor. It's a downside of using Groovy. (Or it could be my IDE?)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
It was pure coincidence that I happened to see that constructor. It's a downside of using Groovy. (Or it could be my IDE?)
There are probably some IDE tweaks we could apply to make finding stuff like that more easily :)