WIP Using other's brushes ...

metouto

Contributor
Art
Was just messing around with some "brushes" I have downloaded with my gimp program and thought that it might be nice to see what might get "impressed ???" (like fossils) in rocks ......

AnimalTrack.png
animal tracks
leaf.png
leaf
leaf1.png
leaf1
leaf3.png
leaf2
SeaShells.png
Shell
Skull.png
skull
SmPineTree.png
small pine tree
SmWings.png
small wings

Now my question ..... when using brushes others have made to use with a program like Gimp it is politeness to exknowledge them for their work if you use it ......and if this is so ..... I could not use these blocks as is..... right ???

To do it right I would have to come up with these type of things without using the brushes from others so we could use them in Terasology :coffee:

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
If they want/require feedback if you use a brush I think you can simply link to the author in the modules README. As far as I ever encountered most brushes available for Gimp are under a very liberal license (if any). Furthermore, one probably has to distinct between distributing work done with help of the brush and distributing the brush files itself.

In this case, I probably would add an acknowledgment to the Readme file, e.g.
Code:
For these fossil blocks the "Fossil Brush Set" by "SomeArtist" were used (<link>).
Most likely you can find better phrases somewhere on the world wide web :coffee:

Regardless of the legal issues - I really like the idea of fossils and animal tracks. Pinging @Josharias for tinted textures/overlays/... (petrified fossils), and @Immortius and @manu3d to ask for possible decals as overlays (animal tracks).

metouto

Contributor
Art
Thanks Skaldarnar ;) that is about what I was thinking ... I would hope someone would come up with something os we don't have to use the brushes of others because I also very much like the idea of petrified fossils laying around in the ground as you are digging into your world :coffee:

(I wonder how hare it is to make brushes for gimp .....:cautious:)

manu3d

Contributor
Architecture
Concerning the opengl aspects, it doesn't sound overly difficult to add decals even though at this stage I wouldn't know precisely how to do it.

I'd recommend to think about the idea a bit more in-depth though. I.e. how would a player use/interact with these features? Should a player be able to follow the tracks to hunt down an animal? Should the tracks fade in time? Would this be something to add to the survival module or can you make the list of features big enough to be a module dependent on the survival module? Regarding fossils, should a player extract a fossil by digging a block and then put it in his inventory? Would there be different fossils for different depths/layers? Once extracted, what would a player do with a fossil? If this is the direction of thinking I'd also recommend to write an official suggestion about it.

Or did you just want to add some random, non-interactive decorations to blocks?

metouto

Contributor
Art
I was just thinking to ....... add some random, non-interactive decorations to blocks ..... but now that you bring up other things you have my mind working :geek:

You will have to have the powers to be answer those other questions ..... they know the direction and what they need for the modules they are working on manu3d and they know how much coding it might take to make those other (good) ideas you brought up work .... I am just a person with to much time on his hands thinking of "what could bes" setting on the very lowest rung on this ladder :coffee:

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Thanks for jumping on the train @manu3d - and bringing the technical part into discussion :D

As already hinted, I think fossil texture overlays can be created on world gen and a module might add interaction mechanisms to them. Or ways to extract the fossil from it. So these don't need to be adapted and displayed dynamically, imho.

Footprints could have gameplay mechanics and are visuals that might vanish after some time. Similar to blood/water splashes, we might have an upper limit of decals to display.

From the 3D-wizardry point-of-view it looks to me as visual decals are a separate issue from texture overlays on block creation - does that make sense?

manu3d

Contributor
Architecture
Nope. What are texture overlays on block creation? Are they edible?

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
They definitely could both be done as overlays, but with blocks we have the luxury of just making them on a block texture and calling it a standard block. Example: Basalt stone with a gemstone in it. You got a base basalt texture and a different texture with a gemstone that's otherwise transparent, combine the two on world creation and tadaa, composite block texture with its own block id. That's kinda like @glasz's procedural flowers

Decals I get the impression are less tied to the block system. So generally anything that spans multiple blocks and/or doesn't snap to the block grid in the world. Example: A rug laying on the ground, diagonal to regular floor blocks, spanning a few blocks in each direction, that could be treated like its own thing (such as picking it up separately from the blocks, or setting it on fire). This we don't truly have yet (closest might be the block breaking effects overlay, but that's very much locked to the block grid)