Cells, cells, cells

B!0HAX

Contributor
World
I think you didn't understand at all my previous post.
At least, that is what I conclude from your last comment.

The above case, you quoted (and followed by a comment) was just to show how maximum subcontainer nesting could be handled in the case subcontainers were implemented... (maybe in bold is more understandable)

eleazzaar said:
Why implement a GUI for something you don't think people would want to do in the first place?
If you read the awnser I added, you would see that I was talking about nesting limit:

b!0hax said:
A: Well in this case we would limit subcontainer accessibility to lets say 2?
container > subcontainer > sub(x2)container
and send some message like "That is not accessible" if you try to open beyond the 2 subcontainer.
So to pick the plant up you would need to take the bag out of the big sac and then access it to get the plant.
[Why would anyone want to put a plant inside such a nested container maze in the first place?]
Did you understand this at all? or you prefer a sketch?

Good game design is as much about what you leave out-- as it is what you put in.
To what I can follow, who/what decides what a good game design is? your likes and dislikes?...
Was that all you had to comment about my previous [Wall of text] exposition on how I think about inventory and its effects over gameplay ?

Don't get me wrong.

ironchefpython

Contributor
Architecture
We should really move this discussion to sub-forum the mod for which this gameplay element is being proposed.

Cerv, in case that's too subtle a suggestion.... I mean you have some work on the forum to do. :)

eleazzaar

Contributor
Art
B!0HAX said:
Did you understand this at all? or you prefer a sketch?
It was plenty clear.

B!0HAX said:
eleazzaar said:
Good game design is as much about what you leave out-- as it is what you put in.
To what I can follow, who/what decides what a good game design is? your likes and dislikes?...
My point is not that this game must please me. The point is a well-designed game doesn't try to please everybody by adding all feature that someone might possibly want. It's about focus -- on game design goals and a target audience.

My comments aren't about making this the game i want it to be, but my opinion on the most effective route to accomplish the goals already set-- in as much as i understand them.

B!0HAX said:
Was that all you had to comment about my previous [Wall of text] exposition on how I think about inventory and its effects over gameplay ?
Not to ignore your post, but it doesn't seem likely that additional walls of text are likely to change anything. I don't see what i can add that i haven't said.

ironchefpython

Contributor
Architecture
Guys.

Our mod system hasn't been developed to the point where any of these ideas can be implemented. And it sounds like you're talking about different mods, one where the gameplay focus is on item management, and another where the gameplay focus is elsewhere.

And if we're talking about the goals that have been set... http://wiki.movingblocks.net/Main/WhatI ... t_a_glance : That's like saying I want to make love to a supermodel, when I cant even get an erection. Let's work on basic function, try to achieve some easier interim goals, and then shoot for the moon.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Heh, yeah, this isn't black or white, the basic game should probably stay simple, while a "fancy inventory" mod could be available for organizing fiends - like myself, I would want that, but recognize that the base game probably needs to cater to a lower common denominator.

So bring on the advanced inventory - I want all the features from bi0hax's post, heck I even want volume per-item getting in the way of me trying to put large light things into small bags. But I can accept that going in a mod.

Stamina drain from being overloaded is good, fatigue, way overloaded items not normally movable, etc also all good.

The goals at a glance were tossed together and likely describe several possible game modes as well as a way down the road super game that yeah, we need to stick to getting the simple stuff working first :)

The moment the modding starts getting solid we can start working on our favorite features on the side too.