Intro Hello from the other side of the world

Christiaan_V

• Name:Christiaan Volschenk
  • Social: https://github.com/ChristiaanV (I usually do solo projects so I don't use it often, sorry)
  • Applicable Skills / Tools:(with sub lists in descending order of relevance)
    • Programming
      • Java
      • LWJGL
      • JMonkeyEngine (Java game engine based on LWJGL)
    • Calculus and Maths
      • Vector algebra
      • Integral calculus
      • Differential calculus
      • Liner algebra
    • Other useful university modules passed
      • Programming and IT
      • Graphical communication
      • Physics
      • Dynamics
      • Statics
    • Tools
      • Mostly just the basics like github and IDEs(Eclips and netbeans)
    • Artsy Stuff
      • Believe it or not I am actually a very artsy guy.I actually wanted to study art (especially UI and UX)
    • What I have worked with
      • Because of the way programming can be implemented in a lot of things I have done a lot of different things , Jack of all traits (coding related) if you will. I have made things ranging from a Delphi program to manage my local SPCA (animal shelter) to a bad version of Terraria in Scratch. My main love in programming though is game development and I have done some projects including my own minimal game engine to run my own version of Pong and I have done a lot in the field of bloxels as I'll show later.
  • Found via: GSoC
  • Interests: Literally this!!! I am so glad that Terasology is at Google summer of code. I love the entire idea of Terasology. I am studying Industrial Engineering because of my love of complex systems and the optimization thereof. I find so many of these complex problems in Terasology like the terrain generation that I would like to do for GSoC. I don't really like to just tell what I can do so here is a little preview of some code I have written to generate over exaggerated smooth terrain

The code calculated each blocks position (over 9 million block) in the (15 x 10 x 15 chunks of size 16 x 16 x 16) terrain in 5.4544 seconds.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
We wantz overhanging cliffs! :D Welcome @Christiaan_V :)

First a disclaimer: the competition for GSoC is hard, we are at about 30 interested students right now for likely only 1-2 spots :( To improve your chances of getting in, go through the Dev-Setup and familiarize yourself with the code base. The tutorial module on world generation would likely be a good starting point. If you want to dig deeper into world generation land, have a look at Throughout the Ages (TTA, Another World) and Poly World - they both have some interesting features.

Short on time, so that's it for now :) Ah, and take a look at the contributor friendly labled issues to get started with some coding ;)
See you around on the forum or IRC.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi @Christiaan_V and welcome! Nice voxels :)

We definitely could use some more world gen optimization! It is easy to end up with some fairly intensive world gen if you want to do fancy things, check out the Throughout the Ages world gen with a Java Profiler and you'll probably find optimization potential to your heart's content :D

And yep our old Perlin map type had overlapping cliffs, but they haven't been re-implemented yet in the new faceted style world gen. Wantz!

Florian

Contributor
Architecture
Terasology has already a complex and extendable framework for world generation. Did you have a look at it already?

A really nice existing world generator is PolyWorld made by @msteiger:

https://github.com/Terasology/PolyWorld

Maybe implementing some small new feature for an existing world generator would give you an impression about what is there and what areas need improvement.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Thank you @Christiaan_V
I'm not sure whether I can have another look at the proposal before the deadline. In any case, you can upload the "final" PDF already so you have that secured. You can update your final proposal until the deadline by re-uploading the PDF, no problem there.

Christiaan_V

I'm not sure whether I can have another look at the proposal before the deadline.
Your input was one of the main reasons for many of the changes in my proposal. I would not mind at all if you didn't look again because I am pretty sure you know your stuff around my topic. I put this up for anybody who wanted to see what I thought was correct so that they can adjust theirs accordingly and if they find something strange in mine let me know about it. It is a kind of open source approach to the project proposals.