New blocks (3/14/2012)

metouto

Contributor
Art
A little research got me this .... am I traveling the right path to start fulfill issues/87 ....

Anthracite

Bituminous

Lignite

Iron Ore

Iron Ore to Steel
The common ores of iron can be reduced to iron by heating them with carbon in the form of coke. Coke is produced by heating coal in the absence of air (making of Lignite coal).
Iron ore isn't pure iron it also contains an assortment of rocky material. This wouldn't melt at the temperature of the furnace, and would eventually clog it up. Limestone is added to convert this into slag which melts and runs to the bottom.
The heat of the furnace decomposes the limestone to give calcium oxide.
It is important not to add too much limestone because it would otherwise cool the furnace.

Extracting iron from iron ore various kinds of steel.

Cast iron

The molten iron from the bottom of the furnace can be used as cast iron.
Cast iron is very runny when it is molten and doesn't shrink much when it solidifies. It is therefore ideal for making castings. Cast iron is very hard, but also very brittle. If you hit it hard, it tends to shatter rather than bend or dent.

Mild steel

Mild steel is iron containing up to about 0.25% of carbon. The presence of the carbon makes the steel stronger and harder than pure iron. The higher the percentage of carbon, the harder the steel becomes.
Mild steel is used for nails & wire

High carbon steel

High carbon steel contains more carbon. The presence of the extra carbon makes it very hard, but it also makes it more brittle. High carbon steel is used for cutting tools and masonry nails (nails designed to be driven into concrete blocks or brickwork without bending). You have to be careful with high carbon steel because it tends to fracture rather than bend if you mistreat it.

Attachments

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Re: New blocks Coal/Iron (maybe)

Good research! Yep, this is exactly what we need :D

You can use "Place in-line" when drafting a post to put individual attachments in a specific spot in the post. Sorry to have missed you on IRC earlier, I was out to lunch - board likely won't let you attach Word docs as they can have viruses embedded in them, so boards probably disable .doc attachments in general to prevent spambots from attaching them :)

Better anyway to just put the text in a post and then attach images along with the place in-line option :geek:

Nice work, keep it up!

metouto

Contributor
Art

Cervator said:
....You can use "Place in-line" when drafting a post to put individual attachments in a specific spot in the post. Better anyway to just put the text in a post and then attach images along with the place in-line option :geek:
Good to know and fixed my post with this info :D

Cervator said:
.... Sorry to have missed you on IRC earlier, I was out to lunch
No problem .... thought you were busy with work work ;)

Cervator said:
won't let you attach Word docs as they can have viruses embedded in them
understand that after removing 22 bug from my computer :shock:

How about changing Redstone with a block that is red and when you fire it it turns into a red Garnet :idea: Then use the Garnet as you would the redstone :idea:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

Hehe, yay malware!

What are the iron ore names for those three images? Post looks much better now arranged nicely, now I suddenly realized those names were missing. The coals are great :)

metouto

Contributor
Art

Go back to get the names you want (and I forgot :oops: ) I found that # 5 did not come with a name I could trace :( I found another to take it's place ;)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

Hematite maybe? That's one of the usual three and the ones in use in DF :)

Although that banded iron looks awesome! That might make a cool texture.

If we thought it was tricky to make grass blend with dirt... having yellow and black minerals next to each other, woo! That's going to be fun :D

I wonder if there are any fancy 2D texture techniques that allow you to "blend" textures across blocks, to fade away the transition between differing blocks, but retain the full texture between identical blocks. 3D wizards, I summon thee!

metouto

Contributor
Art

Picture of new block (maybe ...)
it is called BanddedIron ....

Attachments

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

Can finally see it now, yay! Put recommendations on IRC, very nice block :)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

Awesome! Yay for new blocks :D

I especially like the redesign of Banded Iron. That's a snazzy looking block.

Keep up the good work!

metouto

Contributor
Art
Re: New blocks (maybe)

Just before I go to bed I would like to introduce you to a couple more blocks I have created (all these blocks may or may not be in there final stage ;) ).....

Attachments

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

Nice! Like em both :)

metouto

Contributor
Art

OK .... sleep is over 2nd day of vacation form work and the fun is beginning :)

BTW ... just for the record ... here is a list of all that I have done so far....

1) AnthraciteOre 2) BituminousOre 3) LigniteOre = Ores

4) BanddenIron 5) MagnetiteIron 6) LimoniteIron = Irons

7) Bauxite 8) Kimberlite = Rocks

9) Silty 10) Clay 11) Sandy 12) Peat 13) Loam = Soils

Attachments

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

Metouto's on fiiiiiiiiire! Not going to take 4 months to rival DF's number of blocks at this pace :D

Kai Kratz

Witch Doctor
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics

They are looking better each time! Keep up the great work!

metouto

Contributor
Art

There are four types of stone layers, sedimentary layers, igneous intrusive layers, igneous extrusive layers, and metamorphic layers. in the following there are rocks that form those four types of stone layers ... :D

Attachments

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

Diorite! Slate! Chalk! Granite! Andesite! Dacite! Conglomerates! Garnierite! Sulphur! Cassiterite! Auriferous Quartz! Azurite! Laterites!

*faints from geology overdose*

Hmm, might need to make you the official geologist and put a summary table somewhere. Or I suppose we could organize them in source like geology/sedimentary + geology/igneousintrusive + etc...

For Science! Crazy many blocks. awesome to have :)

There are just a few that have minor spots where something looks a tad too linear/patterned, but overall they're wonderful.

Also, if Conglomerates contain a mixture of other rocks - what do we make them drop? Random sedimentary rock types?

metouto

Contributor
Art

Cervator said:
Hmm, might need to make you the official geologist and put a summary table somewhere. Or I suppose we could organize them in source like geology/sedimentary + geology/igneousintrusive + etc...
Official geologist .....hmmmmm let me know what you think here and if I need to I will send you my shirts to have them monogrammed :laugh: ..... a summary table somewhere ...... hmmmmm let me know where it is and I will try to filler up ;) .....

Cervator said:
There are just a few that have minor spots where something looks a tad too linear/patterned, but overall they're wonderful.
Please let me know what you see so I may fix it ;)

Cervator said:
Also, if Conglomerates contain a mixture of other rocks - what do we make them drop? Random sedimentary rock types?
:idea: That is a good possibility .... but you might just let it be mined and use it for construction or wall building or maybe just a conglomerate house ..... :idea:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

Okay, quick line-up!

Diorite - looks very blocky around the edges. You might want to smear some dark pixels into the edge, or some light pixels a row or two into the block

Conglomerates - there's like a white rectangle on the right side of the block. You'll want to break that up a little, like smearing some red into the white rectangle. I think we should make that one drop random blocks of the appropriate layer, make it a nice "surprise" :)

Auriferous Quartz - there's a whitish straight line on the top of the block after initial tweaks. Might want to sneak some whitish pixels into the bulk of the dark area right there. The little one light pixel "bridge" between the block sides also looks a little funny, maybe smear some dark gray over the "bridge" pixels and a little into that white hollow?

As for a nice block summary - hmm. Making a page in the wiki might work, but that would take a bit of work, wonder if we can make something neater that can be re-used as in-game documentation.