WIP Player/NPCs models

Ten'son'

Contributor
World
So we have some animals, some monsters but no player model!
Also, we need the NPCs models. Will they be different from the player like in Minecraft? Will they all be differents?
Let's talk about this. :)

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
There is a post about a dwarf character in the unified graphic style thread by A'nW I like a lot.
And if there are cities with different style I think it would be nice to have different NPC races populating the world.
A idea that goes in the direction of a RPG is that the player can choose his race (maybe some kind of character generator in the main menu). Each race could have its benefits and drawbacks (in strength, stamina, …) that may influence the players way to play the game.
But as I said, its somewhat RPG stuff I'm talking about :)

Ten'son'

Contributor
World
Personally I think there should be a character creator like in The Sims or The Elder Scrolls.
So every player will be different. Also, it allows multiple races.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I'd say yes on multiple races the player can choose and we've got a couple dwarves etc here and there. Character creator - maybe if we embrace some more RPG elements down the road, otherwise I'm figuring making your own skin a la MC might be enough?

Perdemot

Contributor
Art
World
I'd say yes on multiple races the player can choose and we've got a couple dwarves etc here and there. Character creator - maybe if we embrace some more RPG elements down the road, otherwise I'm figuring making your own skin a la MC might be enough?
I would even try to go as far as own models. I really like the idea of having an own model :p

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
If we build as a good modable framework as all the other things around here it would be something in between I think... Instead of using one predefined skin you could choose the shoes independently from the trousers and such... different face skin, maybe hair and so on...

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I have no problem with the players being able to supply their own models, even Gundams :D

Now maybe multiplayer server admins might restrict that, but hey ;)

Perdemot

Contributor
Art
World
I have no problem with the players being able to supply their own models, even Gundams :D

Now maybe multiplayer server admins might restrict that, but hey ;)
Have no issue with that. If Playername != "Perdemot"{ Player.ownmodel = false;}
Gonna make a Server :p

Nym Traveel

Contributor
Art
World
If we allow own playermodels we definately need to renounce ourselves from playermade models. In the end some giant penisman is jumping around and some mother sues us...
To stay realistic i'd let them choose from some parts made by us, like Skaldarnar suggested.
If we have some PVP or even just PVE elements with hitzones I'd modell a character for myself with just one 1cm³ little triangle. Mr Invisible and Invincible :D

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Yes, I would suppose that there are player models given by us (maybe several models for different races/gender/...). Then we can allow the users to create their own skins/styles (as in MC) to put on these models.

ddr2

Contributor
World
If we allow own playermodels we definately need to renounce ourselves from playermade models. In the end some giant penisman is jumping around and some mother sues us...
To stay realistic i'd let them choose from some parts made by us, like Skaldarnar suggested.
If we have some PVP or even just PVE elements with hitzones I'd modell a character for myself with just one 1cm³ little triangle. Mr Invisible and Invincible :D
we could still work around that (and maybe bring some very nice strategy reflexions when the player creates its character :rainbowdetermined: ) :
we force each model to have a minimum amount of skin, a fixed amount of bones etc ... and let the players decide which is the best design for pvp (for instance an arm with 10 bones could hit a lot further than a simple arm; a player totally flat would be an easy target if he's just in front of us, but if he turn around :omg: etc ... ). I think there might be interesting things to dig in this area.

It's nice to have the power to choose our own model, it's even nicer if our gameplay changes with the model.

glasz

Contributor
Art
Here's my Dwarfette, her name's Faustine. She's to be a replacement for Jake the dwarf, not her complement.
The idea being : since our animals are a little more detailed than Jake, we need PC models that are as detailed or more detailed than the fauna around.
If people like her a new Mister Dwarf in the same style will be made. I made the dwarfette first to break from the habit of having a male default character, and often just that.

Anyway, here she is :

Josh

Contributor
Hunter
what about character creation? Like when you first make a account you make a character like that, and choose pre-made skins, heads, bodies, legs, etc. and make it that way. And then you could get extra stuff some how. And you can also pick what race like the people above said.

glasz

Contributor
Art
One thing at a time , please :p
I can not design and build a character creation system from scratch all by myself. It will require a number of PC models to work from, and the active collaboration of coders (who have enough on their plate for now, for example just to implement skeletal animation so that our models actually move in game), if not some special pieces of software to help the process. And it will also require that we know what gameplay universe we're in, just to know what the different races would be, a thing that hasn't been decided yet. Wishing for a sophisticated Character creation system is one thing, having it is another. The name of the thread is "player npcs models" i suggest creating a "custom character creation" thread dedicated to that.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Any sort of character creation stuff would be waaaaaaaaaaay in the future and yeah it would need a lot of work/dedicated person/people :)

Nice Dwarfette!

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
So, I've been thinking about our two "races" ... the post-humans and the very humans.

These are both decedents of the same human origin, but again, according to our lore, the post-humans evolved from gene selection and designer trends.

In my mind, humanity wanted to "better" itself according to popular trends in what was considered beautiful. So of course I applied that based off my American sense of pop-culture and came up with something. Still along the lines of glasz's "elf like" concept, but a bit more like "rugged, surfer elf dude".

This guy would be at least 6' tall, probably closer to 7'; have a perfectly sculpted body, insanely BRIGHT and colorful hair and eyes, slightly pointed ears, and a perfectly bronzed tan. He's like the perfect high-school sports star that all the girls drool over and all the regular kids loathe for being so perfect.

In terms of culture; these are the ex-genetic bending group who have sworn off technology in favor of harmony with nature and "magic" (which we know to be a result of genetic engineering - but they don't). The "garb" is based on the idea that the culture wants to return to nature, meaning they use clothing for warmpth, but otherwise prefer to "be natural".

Having said all that, here's my male version of the genetic post human race (I really need to name these guys). I figure the "wand" concept we talked about could evolve into something more masculine for the guys; maybe a bladed staff of sorts that could still be used to channel magic.

I tried to keep him as blocky/angular as possible.

male1.png