Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I've been keeping up with some of the Leap Motion community activity and saw a need for a pure Java Leap library. One fellow has one that's almost purely Java but has a few bits of Processing in there and it is in the GPL (incompatible with our license). He's up for us making a pure Java one in LGPL together so we for instance can use it in Terasology, based on some of his work and other stuff :)

Figured this might be both a good way to both get some progress on the Leap as well as maybe get some attention for Terasology through our implementation. I'm also in contact with our Leap rep about it. To make it really shiny I'd like to see if we could put together a nice looking logo for it! Could be as simple as stylized text or include some sort of logo. The LeapJS library has a nice example.

I thought "Jitter" might be a fitting name, starts with a 'j', is something you might do if you drink too much Java, and is itself a miniscule and oft-repeated motion ;)

Other fellow suggested "Jeap" (simply "Leap" with a 'J') which could also work. Dunno if either has better potential for a logo?

Anyway, if somebody wants to give it a shot, or vote for the better name, feel free!

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
I'd call it J-slapi... the Java simple leap api :p

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
hey you asked... and you can't deny it has a certain "ring" to it :D

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Not bad! I like it. Thank you, good timing, going to put that to use :)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

Any idea what's up with the outline of the 'i' getting sort of blurry? It is better with the transparent one on a black background. I was thinking about maybe shaving that outline just a bit for a sharper look. Unless you were aiming for it to be a little blurry for some reason, like for a highlighting effect?

Double_A

Contributor
Art
I tried to make it look like paper with the letters as holes... Maybe you see the "opposite" 3d-effect, wich might not look very good. ^^

The blurry "i" was my try to make it jitter. It looked kinda strange without that outline, because of the different color. :-/

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Ahhhh! That's why the shadows are like that :)

Cute "jitter" attempt, that's probably tricky to pull off in a static image

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Neat. Where are you going with the last design though? Safety pins? The actual effect lines seem more like it to indicate actual physical jitter tho :D

I like the first stylized 'J' and the little bug. I wonder how a combination approach would work, a stylized lime green (Leap color) 'J' with text a bit more like that from Double_A with a little bug at the end :)

Or maybe black'ish metallic "itter" text akin to the Leap Motion logo itself.

Cool to be able to have the 'J' stand alone for a tiny icon.

Also, why am I still up, there's a DR exercise starting in 4 and a half hours, haha. Somehow not thinking I'll make it to that on time ..

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Ooohh, now that jitters! Thanks :)

Double_A

Contributor
Art
Hi,

Hope you like it :)

What I would like to ask is, if there's some coding work, that I could maybe do...
(Since I'm already studying computer science ^^)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Oh there is never a lack of those!

Take a look at GitHub contributor friendly issues for some easy options. Beyond that if you're curious for more ideas lets talk over in your contributor thread to keep this one on topic - post some ideas or areas you might like to work on :)

Alternatively dig up one of the inactive incubator or suggestions threads on a topic you like and post there. I'll catch it and follow-up, I love hunting potential code leads and they're very appreciated :D

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
You may find some basic coding issues at the launcher as well, just puick what you like best ;)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps