WIP Awesome New Blocks/Block shapes Production Thread!

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
Are these block shapes created via Blender as well (like the snake)? How do you export them into something our game code understands? I'm a total noob at 3D and game content and this stuff fascinates me.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
I'm not sure, the we would be limited to trunks that are just 1 block thick.... and I really like these bigger trees.... and mixing the cubic style with cylindric trunks won't fit, don't you think? Or we need to find a way to deal with bigger trees in a similar manner...

metouto

Contributor
Art
I really like the trees like they are the very first thing I made in terasology was a tree house :love: but alas .... that was a looooog time back :coffee:

A'nW

Contributor
Art
Hmm... didn't see these questions.

SuperSnark Yep, they are all made with blender. In fact, I have a tutorial coming soon that is going to address just that. Making block shapes for Terasology in blender.

Personally, I go for the default world being made out of cubes. It sort keeps the "feel" of the game right when all the natural shapes are cubes. Then, when you come across some different shapes, you know it is "man-made".

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Nicely done, Adeon ! May be a fairly basic feature but it adds a lot of polish! :)

A'nW

Contributor
Art
Hey Adeon, awesome job! That looks great! Cervator is right. It isn't a huge thing, but it sure adds polish to the project.

metouto

Contributor
Art
closer .... closer ..... closer .... closer ..... :omg: closer .... closer ..... closer .... closer ..... :coffee:

A'nW

Contributor
Art
Ok, quick update with a couple of blocks/block shapes.

I added a few blocks to the fence collection. They won't be that useful on their own, I added them because Adeon had requested them for adding to the dynamic fence system (which is looking awesome...).
NewFenceBlocks.jpg

On the left and in the middle are the gate open and gate closed respectively. On the right is a block that, while it can be used to interesting effect by itself, is pretty much meant to be the "parent" fence block that is dropped and placed in place of the others.

I also added the *amazingly complex* vine block.
Ivy.jpg

At the moment, it is simply a normal block similar to tall grass textured with a texture from eleazzaar. Also, the shape is simply a single face offset from the side a block by half a pixel.

I should be posting some more blocks/shapes soonish I hope...

metouto

Contributor
Art
I also added the *amazingly complex* vine block ...... a normal block similar to tall grass textured ..... the shape is simply a single face offset from the side a block by half a pixel.

I'm hooked .... how and with what did you create it with ??? details, details, details ... please :coffee:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
metouto - "amazingly complex" is humorously intended as the vines are in fact just a "flat" block shape - think a door, but thinner ;)

So when that gets pushed we can add more vine types by just indicating that block shape in the definition :)

The shape is created in Blender, A'nW has a video tutorial floating about but it is pretty advanced (more than needed to make a simple flat shape)

metouto

Contributor
Art
OK .... Blender ... amazingly complex :( ... thanks Cervator :coffee:

A'nW

Contributor
Art
Oh, hey metouto, yeah, that was meant as a joke. :)

Yes, I made them with Blender. As Cervator said, I have done a video tut on it (though currently unposted to the public), but it is sort of advanced for a complete beginner. I hope to fix that soon though. I'm going to try and start making shorter (the one referenced is close to an hour long), more specific tutorials that I hope you and other beginners can easily follow. Blender is a pretty complex piece of software, but if you take slow, everyone can learn. :) And you need to learn relatively little to be able to make block shapes.

Cervator Should I just submit another pull request for this?

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Cervator Should I just submit another pull request for this?
Sure, go for it. Tiny pull requests are great and easy, like tutorial vids :D

(Still, long tutorial is better than no tutorial, post post post!)

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Hey A'nW, how is the video tutorial thing going?

While revising the wiki pages I thought that you could please update the block shapes in blender part a bit, bringing the information to current state and maye link to the video when its finished. Maybe you find some time to write a few words to the tutorial as well, or provide useful links (e.g. for UVs and stuff...).

A'nW

Contributor
Art
Hey, just another really quick block shape for whatever. The horizontalOffsetPlane, shown here with a stone texture:
hOffsetPlane.jpg

Nothing fancy, but possibly useful for some things. Train tracks and stuff being some things in mind.

Skaldarnar
Hey, that is a great idea. As for the video tutorials, they are going well. I'm doing short, specific ones for beginners so it doesn't take me long to make them.
I can definitely take a look at the wiki page. I can already think of a few notes and tips that I could add (and some links and stuff is a good idea). I won't be doing anything on it today, but I'll definitely get around to it next week.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
No worries, you don't have to hurry up. :)

I just want to play around with the block shapes sometimes, but I am not familiar with Blender anyways. Would you mind giving a try on plant block shapes, like carrots sticking ouf of the earh and such? I would like to see how they would look in the game, as we're trying to achieve a quite natural and realistic look, the hspaes might be useful for the final state of some growth cycle or something....