Inactive Candy Stuff

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Polls are good for when you know the options and want to choose between them, not so much when you're trying to think about what we need :)

I figure we need a base set of animations most models should be expected to come with (unless there's something odd about them) and beyond that animations should be extensible via modules.

Coming up with said list of basic animations - I say just throw the Oreos in there as the current offering. It'll be hugely helpful when it is trivial to add a new model in-game with the ability to spawn and order around to test out animations, I suggest we aim to get to that point then do a model overhaul and figure out conventions then :)

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
hey can I grab those tasty blocks and add them the the oreo mod for the time being, or add them as a seperate mod if you prefer? The oreo world seems empty without them. I'd add chocolate volcanos as a biome if I can figure out how to that.

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
that's what I mean... but I don't wonna use it without permission :D

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Bump - Maternal you still around? Just came back from watching Wreck-It Ralph - did you make the Oreons with inspiration from there? :rofl:

When I saw Oreo cookie guards come out in formation wielding spears - that was awesome, almost felt like yelling at the screen that those were our guys ;)

Lots more good material in that movie, need more candy people and blocks!

glutamatkrieger

Contributor
Art
Oh hey Cervator, yes, its been a while since my last update. Its not that i do not like finish it or doing more, its just that i have much problems to solve [searching for work, working on my main project]. So this is kind of sad for me, because i had much fun working on this mod. Anyway, yes i saw them on wreck it ralph and i also posted them on the irc in a particular scene out of the movie. Usually, i do not like to build upon existing ideas, but i did not decide to make it for money and they are also somehow not like the base idea, because now they are blocks - they look more like this:

So, well this was just perfect for the candy stuff.
Well, it is important for me to keep focus on my current life situation and important things like jobsearch and to be a teamleader on my main project [the last thing is a big problem, because it is stucked and broken as hell]. But on the other hand, i did not forget about the candy mod.

Thanks for bumping it up though, i saw a lot of progress on the minion mod. I will try to optimize my daytime plan, so that i can do some stuff for this here too. I hope this is ok - for now.
See you and keep it up, Terasology is really good :)

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
hmmm didn't know the inspiration came from the movie, will have to check that. I'm still planning to push forward though, as soon as I'm done hanging my head above bowls of hot water with inhalo rhinathiol to feel a bit alive.

glutamatkrieger

Contributor
Art

edit: If this is a huge Problem because of the Copyright of the Idea, i would say that it is better to change them to other things like in the picture above. On this way, they can even be painted in much colours, which would add functions and visual keys to the "oreos". I got many replys, that they are not Oreos because they are not round- which seems to be very important for people to recognize them as Oreos

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Om nom nom assorted licorice candies! I miss those from Europe, over here they come in tiny expensive bags with all the wrong flavors :(

Swapping to those instead of Oreons would be fine by me. Then different tri-color combinations could help tell types apart (oh, and I forgot there are 5-layer ones too!), and I'm figuring that making such changes would be pretty easy :)

Anything specific holding back Zania? Just general lack of time? And yeah, RL comes first, as always - any spare time you find for here is greatly appreciated, but just staying in touch is good :coffee:

glutamatkrieger

Contributor
Art
This is somehow funny to read, but i know that many things are different on other countrys, but i did not know that they are rare and have the wrong flavours o_O Here the are kinda cheap and its made out of licorice and coconut [and flavours of course, pink is strawberry thats what i know :)].
You can get it in these bags. Haribo is the biggest company in germany selling ofg all kind of sweet stuff- in a very good quality.

Well, a little off topic, but Zania stuck from time to time because of many reasons. On one hand, we do not have the artwork /scribble people that would help to have the basic ideas for the scenes and stuff. On the other hand, i kinda lost the magic behind gamedeveloping over the last years. When i started the project, everything was fresh and exiting, i even did not bother about quality or planning.

I tried to study game art and animation, and this was a big turning point- i would not recommend it to other people. Its too expensive, and you do not get the feeling you would get if you stay on open source projects.
They make fun, they make you feel good.Commercial development can be hard to get through. But this is a personal point and it also does have to do with many other personal things.

Well to set a point, i think, its just that the idea is to old and the progress to slow. I guess this is a problem that can happen to many projects. Fresh ideas, fresh contributors keep projects up and running, like you see on Terasology too. If one person slows down, other contributors can rise up the moral.

And this is how i started, i started on opensource plattforms. I posted many things and it was always welcome.
This is what Zania can not be any more, its to serious.

See, designing these little Oreons gave more fun because of a goal that can be easy to archive on time and quality.
So well, i talked a little deeper now but i think there is no need to hide this informations, because every experienced person will notice this problems or even know it from own experience :)

glutamatkrieger

Contributor
Art
Hello together, its been a while since i opened Terasology and creating something. Had much to do and on my mind. Anyway, i would like to revisit my idea to try something new.

Newtest.jpg

Its a very early work in progress. I have to test around with proportions and textures, its not easy to create a cake texture that looks good without building up a shader.
Many Greets

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Heya and welcome back :)
These look amazing right now, we definitely need to think of a "Candy-Gamemode" to give them the stage they deserve ;)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi Maternal - welcome back! :)

Those look surprisingly well done. Blocky, yet also detailed. Distinct, and a perfect match for the "pluggable facial expressions" that have come up in the past (using variants of the face expression to fit the situation)

When you get a chance, would you mind weighing in on the thread on MD5 import issues? You were one of the few who managed to get fully functional models in-game and we're trying to find the secret that makes it work. There is some small piece missing we can't consistently replicate. Would love to identify and document that so getting models imported would be easy for anybody :)

glutamatkrieger

Contributor
Art
Hello Cervator - Shame on me - i can´t remember what i did . Also, overdhose should know more about it (perhaps). I also need a day to read into everything again, so i will be online on irc the next days and ask a few things :)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Bump! Model issues resolved woohoo!

Back on track for this thread - Maternal do you have a GitHub account ? I'm making issues for overhauling old modules to the new structure and a couple relate to you, but I don't have you in the team on GitHub yet :)

I do see a "Maternal" user on there but with no repos or anything. Is that you?

Two primary modules that relate

https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology/issues/734 - the Oreons that now live in their new home at https://github.com/Terasology/Oreons
https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology/issues/727 - the CakeLie module with the candy/cake blocks and the Oreon king for some reason

I also remembered you had made a few more Oreon types earlier on - would you be able to put those together for in-game use as well?

While I'd love to get the whole happy family together in one module if you want to keep some of them private rather than contribute the whole bunch then I understand, and options to do that more easily will be coming. In the meantime you can always put them in a module on your personal account on GitHub and let us fork it instead - easy way to highlight a license/usage difference :)

glutamatkrieger

Contributor
Art
Hello Together, its been a long time since my last visit here. For the last months, i was always trying to update the Oreons, as they seem to be liked much.
Unfortunately, i am always busy trying to do something. Anyway , i have revisited the oreons and this is what came out today .

So, i added a few more bones and some loop cuts. Now they can show different emotions and bend softly. Its not perfect yet, and it is kind of hard to get a nice expression to them, because i want them to be very lowpoly and so i have to set up the loop cuts at precise locations.

The shields will be made out of licorice snakes

As i said earlier, they are now licorice blocks warriors with flavored soft gum between the top and bottom. They could now wear the colour of their team :)

Edit:
Colour Change !

Greetings, Maternal

glutamatkrieger

Contributor
Art

Thank you :) Here is another test. I really love this version, even though the first Oreons looked more retro and had his own charm. Whats new /Ideas :

They have a Licorice Shield for defense
A lolipop to smash opponents
Chocolate boots :)

While this Version have more bones and more triangle, level of detail should be used on this :)

Edit:

A few more thoughts (Gamedesign) :

Flat lollipop for Axe Type
Licorice shields are weak - can be upgraded to chocolate block shield
Oreons wearing Candy Canes are Priests , if someone remember Popolous the beginning hehe
Combinated (crafted) tools like a hammer build out of different candy parts
They could cultivate jelly beans for food, and candy sprinkles simliar to grain

Perhaps a god /strategy gamemode ? This would be a nice concept, because beeing able to teraform the whole map like in the normal mode and beeing a god would be awsome. I could think of releasing it for tablets, and watching this little warriors build and grow while enjoying a not so serious gameplay.

Greetings Maternal

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Looks great and sounds good to me, I like the idea of a not-so-serious game mode. Populous with terraforming the land into candy/cake stuff to expand sounds fun :D

It also isn't actually too far from other game modes. We've talked about in Light & Shadow to have the faction "claim" territory by painting it, with "flowers" specific to that faction growing and so forth.