Chris' Music Showcase

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Man I can't keep up! I heard some of the cavey pieces and the Fluids piece seems very fittingly named. It makes me think of a Rube Goldberg machine with different liquids spilling out and filling things, with the pauses in the music fitting breaks in the flow :D

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I second SuperSnark on the White Scepter angle, that's a fittingly timed little reference :D

As for Sanctuary as a stylistic setting for more world tracks - I don't think I've got the musical expertise to really consider / understand that. I just compared it to a few of the older pieces and they all seem to go well together with some smaller bits / styles in common. So it is a great pieces, and more like it would be great, but huh on whether it really is / should be a new style angle?

I just look forward to seeing volume 2 fill out! Not to mention catching up with the code to put it all in-game more :)

I'll share it on FB tomorrow morning (US) which seems to get more hits than US evenings. Which makes sense, I guess! For weekdays at least.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Oooh, I love it. The suspense and foreboding is excellent. I especially like the, uh, tinkling effect? The music box thing. It reminds me of some movie, but I don't remember which. Oh, one of the Pirates of the Caribbean pieces

Had wifey listen too and she really liked it as well. I'd say this is one of your best pieces, IMHO :)

Janred

Contributor
Art
Had the time to listen to all of your Terasology Songs today :)
Just great work Chrisk! Had some goosebump flashs ;)
The link to the Cave Theme doesnt work, or did you remove it?
They are really catchy and bring back some childhood memories of great game titles or movies.
Love your work! Keep on :coffee:.

Chrisk

Music Weaver
Contributor
Art
Thank you :) Glad you like it, as the time to create a song gets longer and longer at the moment because the music is getting more complex and I worked 2 days for about 11 hours each on it.

I just wanted to quickly tell you my current plans for the Terasology soundtrack:
  • Currently working on some situational pieces like Chamber of Darkness, that will match different situations inside the game. All of them are going to be released on Terasology Vol. 2
  • After Volume 2 is released, I'll be working on the 3rd Volume, which will represent the complete world ambience soundtrack for the overworld. Cave ambience and sound design will not be released as an album, since it's just atmosphere.
  • If Volume 3 is released, I'll stop creating songs without any context. The songs after that will be made on request, so a list would be great what is needed at that point of time and what is important for the game. I think sound design should also be included to that stage.
  • I will also be working on 8-Bit versions for all of the classic songs on Volume 1 that could be included into the ingame jukebox, I will here and there release some of them as I'm not focusing on finishing them as soon as possible.

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
haha ... I got goosebumps on Chamber of Darkness too. I like the sort of childlike chimes that go a little sinister. Fits with the game. =)

Very nice Chrisk

Cervator , I'm assuming we can do some dynamic things with the music in game right? For example, there might be an ambient type background music for a particular biome ... say your pawns are harvesting wood in Backgammon Brake ... and then they get attacked ... we could dynamically switch / fade into / a battle type music.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying your compositions Chris!

Chrisk

Music Weaver
Contributor
Art
Thank you SuperSnark and MPratt :)
I btw got a cellist joining my small studio so I can actually record the cello stuff live. There are currently 2 finished songs for Terasology sitting on my hard drive awaiting the next cello recording session :)

I'm really curious how it turns out, actually got a "Chamber of Darkness" live version too, but I'll stay with the sampled version for now.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
A 40-60 minute symphony? Chrisk - you're crazy! In an awesome kinda way :D

Sounds good to me, it is all from live stuff from your studio pieced together to slowly work out how the overall piece should go, then down the road the whole thing gets recorded live, is what you're saying?

We're lucky to have this kind of dedication :omg:

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
You surpass yourself!!! Your pieces already belong to my favorite game music playlist, but I think you'll get your own :D

Chrisk

Music Weaver
Contributor
Art
I worked on some details and accents, the new version was uploaded to the same URL:
https://soundcloud.com/chriskoebke/terasology-symphony-wip

I also started working on the second part at 6:00, the ending part is not finished at the moment. As I mentioned before, the symphony will be the 3rd CD, I planned splitting up the symphony into different pieces to release it as a CD (Terasology Volume 3).

Cervator
There isn't any live instruments in there at the moment, I'm just composing the symphony now to record it later. Will be quite some work as there are around 40 different themes in there and I have to print sheet music for all of them :p

Skaldarnar
Thank you :)

Chrisk

Music Weaver
Contributor
Art
I just got a creative phase and tried to play some random instruments. As a result, I just recorded my self improvising for 3 hours now, playing guitar, flute, trumpet and singing some random orient vocals.

The first song for Terasology that is 100% live:
https://soundcloud.com/chriskoebke/terasology-orient-dawn

Except for the strings, no virtual instruments used. Feedback would be great :)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Feedback given via Skype. Summary: It's crazy you can just throw something like that together :D