Archived Easiest modding ever!

What do you think?

• This is great!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nah, java only is surely more powerful.

• Well, I think I can start with modding with this.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is it about: Modding
What's the goals: Making modding as easy as possible.
Still being able to edit the mod like you could in a mod that's entirely in java.

So, couldn't we just make a set of .class files and to make a simple mod you put a (or a set of) .class files for the type of mod you want in a folder where you also put a xml file (for health, width, texture, etc.), a blender model (for example) and the texture file it uses. Then you make the folder a .zip and put it in the mods folder. If you're then still able to create more advanced AI or functions in the same mod with the java knowledge needed to make a mod in java, we have a (almost)perfect modding for both beginners and pros.:D

If anyone that reads this happen to not know what xml is, or want's to learn how to make xml, go to w3schools.com. That's where I learned html.

One option is not in the poll. It should be something like: This doesn't look easy.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
We have indeed a good modding support, adding new blocks is as easy as that. All the mods (or modules) are own projects, and can contain java code as well as only json block definitions and block textures if you want. I am going to make some tutorials on this topic, there is already one for creating new blocks (although only in German, English version coming the next days....), so if you are interested in this you should read

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
I'm not sure what you are suggesting which we don't already have? Everything you describe is already implemented, although some of the details are a little different. You can certainly add either a zip file or a folder, with a mod.txt and whatever assets, into the mods directory and that acts as a fully functional mod. And if you need to add more advanced behaviour you make it a java project and write some code and distribute as a jar.

We use JSON instead of XML - I consider JSON to be generally simpler and easier for direct human usage. XML is good and all, but the complexity introduced by schemas and namespaces is not something I'ld want to expose to beginner modders.

So... yeah, I agree with this suggestion to the point I travelled back in time and implemented it already. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.