Modularize flower generation

eleazzaar

Contributor
Art
As for palettes : yup i think i understand : set a full bright color, a full dark one, and interpolate between the 2 depending on chanel value?
exactly.

eleazzaar

Contributor
Art
I think i corrected the A B layer thing
Yep, looks like you did.

EDIT:
I realize a lot of my graphics are on the more unusual side. I wanted to push the boundaries at the start. If I do more, and I'd recommend it to someone else doing more-- should probably fill out the middle of the bell curve with more "conventional" flowers.

Also I'll probably try my hand at palettes once there is an easy way to preview the results.

Also #2 these graphics should work if you implement randomly skipping either the base, middle or blossom layer. Of course a plant without a blossom is less interesting.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Oho, I was wondering about the occasional gray. Cool :)

metouto

Contributor
Art
Glasz .... those are the best looking :love: flowers I have ever seen in a long time :omg: .... looks like you are doing a good job in this area to me ... keep up the good work :coffee:

eleazzaar

Contributor
Art
What's your file-naming convention? If i make more, i assume it will be easier for you if i give you a bunch of properly named individual files.

glasz

Contributor
Art
I havent put much thought into it, but as for now things work this way : each sprite is in an individual 32x32 image named this way : fl_a_01.png (for example) the letter a is the layer, and so it's the same for all sprites of the same layer, and the end number is individual.

glasz

Contributor
Art
Thanks Metouto for the documentation. Yes, having some underwater vegetation and fauna could be cool, and as for the flower generator it would just need some specific underwater sprites and a little tweaking. Making a java version of the generator is on my todo list, and i hope i can make something people can play with, to try sprites and colors and stuff.

metouto

Contributor
Art
... Making a java version ... i hope i can make something people can play with, to try sprites and colors and stuff.
:omg:It looks like "old" & "slow" people (me) might have another tool to play around with :omg:maybe ... maybe... maybe ...:coffee:

metouto

Contributor
Art
Let me push this a little little bit:cool: .... if this can be set up for flowers, plants, and underwater vegetation .... could one use it for blocks, doors, buildings, assortment etc etc .... by adding different sprites parts or/and colors ..... I know ..... I know ..... to much pushing & to much to hope for ???? :coffee:

:cautious: (it is ok to put me back in the other room and tell me to be quiet):cautious:

glasz

Contributor
Art
I suppose it would be possible, yes, but i'd rather not promise anything, until i actually have some flower generator applet working, witch would be a good first step.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
That's an interesting idea, actually. Whole buildings is another topic (like the grammar system from Skaldarnar or Cities from msteiger ) but as an example procedurally generating door texture variants using the same approach - could probably work? Door handle sprites, decoration sprites, window pieces, hinges, etc :)

Might be trickier to get the right feel stylistically than flowers, but there's probably a way. Like generating one set of door textures for an elven village and a different one for a human village.

metouto

Contributor
Art
Ok .... glasz ... "flower generator applet working, witch would be a good first step." ..... understand and fully agree :coffee:

Cervator .... be careful my friend .... thinking like me could be harmful to your health :omg:

msteiger

Contributor
World
Architecture
Logistics
Very nice work, glasz. I wonder how we can integrate this into the game. If I get this right, you create 2D textures using python code. Is that correct?

Anyway, we could create a new Flower module and put a large variety of plants in there. What do you think?

There already a few examples here:
Definition: modules\Core\assets\blocks\flora\
Textures: modules\Core\assets\blockTiles\plant

The NameGenerator module already has support for flower names ;)
It would be nice to have some of these flowers in the garden of some houses..

glasz

Contributor
Art
Hey msteiger, thanks
Yes, we use some base handmade sprites and combine them with code and color them with a shader.
I used python for prototyping, since i didnt know java, im only starting to learn it. The idea would be to port the code in Java so as to have a flower generator in TS, and use it to procedurally generate the vegetation, so each world would have flowers sunseen in other worlds, with specific properties. I'm supposed to do the Java porting eventually, probably in JMonkey first for a test applet, and later hopefully in TS. But i havent taken the time yet, so it's on hold for the moment...