Modularize flower generation

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Bump! I wanted to mention in here that we talked about this on IRC a bit today (helps to keep the forum updated too!)

Marcin Sciesinski has been working on something functionally similar inside the game in rendering fluids within liquids buckets, which involves a layering of sorts. He thought maybe something similar could be done to bring the procedural flowers into the game.

glasz already has the proof of concept Python code written, but isn't likely to hit the Java soon'ish. Other than converting the Python I suppose we'd need to find out if the shader would work as-is in a module - we do have a place to put shaders, question just is whether it'll work :)

Marcin earlier mentioned the idea of the player tinkering with plant genetics so this seemed like a perfect combination :D

glasz

Contributor
Art
Ok, fixing the thread a bit, i removed some broken links.
I'll sum up how its all working :
first we some base sprites, that use placeholder colors, mostly using one color channel at a time (etiher R or G or B is the set , the rest being left to zero).

Here is @eleazzaar spritesheet again :

and to combine them with color palettes :

these are 4x4 images, each sprite representing a color

results :

for a closer look at sprites and the results :

Attachments

Last edited:

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I'm slowly clearing out the old Incubator forum, mostly moving threads to Modules, Core Projects, or even Suggestions when there is no associated code. This one seemed a better fit for the Art forum, yet should eventually get put into a module, so I got to use the rare Modularize prefix :)

On the other hand, I know @Marcin Sciesinski put some clever flower work into TTA somewhere. Does that use this system or maybe just part of it? Could we just split that out into its own module (unless it is already part of one specific reusable module?) and call this implemented?

If not then if anybody is interested feel free to throw some (more) code at this, especially if it comes with some nice framework stuff and docs on how to make/configure palettes, sprites, etc :)