Archived Friendly dragons

Darkhog

Hello, I'm Darkhog and I am interested in this project for a long time (even since it was called Moving Blocks).

I am huge dragon fan and nothing pisses me off more as dragon being portrayed as mindless animal, not smarter than average dog or lion, whether it is in game, film or book.

So how about making dragons friendly NPCs that can help you learn more advanced stuff, like magic spells (since it is supposed to cross with Dwarf Fortress and Dungeon Keeper, I assume that there will be dragons and magic), or giving you some rare items or even items that can't be obtained otherwise for a favor (a.k.a quest)?

Of course every dragon will have some variable, a karma meter, which will go down every time you attack said dragon or try to stole from him (whether steal attempt is successful or not) and up if you're being nice for said dragon and when you're doing quests for him.
Under certain amount of karma, dragon will stop giving you quests and only way to rise karma enough to make him give you quests again will be to apologize him and when karma meter reaches 0, dragon will go berserk and will hunt you down until you're dead or certain amount of time passes (kind like "wanted" level in GTA).
Then, with karma=1, you'll be able to apologize dragon and make quests for him again (dragons are very forgiving creatures).

Karma meter will be per-dragon variable (probably inside dragon's class), so attacking one dragon won't affect another. There will be however global karma, affected by things like killing dragons - no time out here, when it reaches 0 (default will be pretty high, like 600). Dragons will hunt you down until you'll die as many times as many dragons you killed.

So, how do you like it?

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Heya Darkhog - I'd like to see "advanced" dragons too :)

The reputation/karma stuff you mention should probably be available as a general system that can be applied to different creatures as desired. Having something like that is a given for any sort of advanced creature system (ethics and such), although that is likely a fair ways out.

Josh

Contributor
Hunter
Well, I was going to post on this thread yesterday but decided to think more about it, and here's what I came up with.

I like the idea of dragons, the only part I don't really like is the part of them all being "advanced" I like the way they had it in Skyrim, there were only 2 "Advanced" Dragons, all of the others you just pretty much killed, I'm not saying only have 2 "advanced" Dragons, I'm saying I would think it would be better if some dragons were more advanced than others, which then you could have bad dragons and good dragons. The good dragons being more advanced than the bad dragons, and then having leaders or something like skyrim did, who controlled all of them and were the smartest. The dragons won't be as smart as a dog or a cat, they would be intelligent (Normal evil/good dragons) they would have more advanced AI and stuff like that. And maybe some dialogue. I think it would be a nice feature as long as it's balanced. That's just a suggestion I wanted to add to this.

Darkhog

Well, I don't like "animalistic" (is that even a word, Firefox tells me it isn't...) dragons. But who forbidding devs for using other reptile creatures that are in our world extinct and almost certainly were animals? Yes, I'm talking about dinosaurs.

And dialogue for dragons is a good idea (my 'quests for dragons' idea even requires it).

TL;DR: Animalistic dragons - big no, no. Dinosaurs instead of them, sure.

Josh

Contributor
Hunter
Well, I don't like "animalistic" (is that even a word, Firefox tells me it isn't...) dragons. But who forbidding devs for using other reptile creatures that are in our world extinct and almost certainly were animals? Yes, I'm talking about dinosaurs.

And dialogue for dragons is a good idea (my 'quests for dragons' idea even requires it).

TL;DR: Animalistic dragons - big no, no. Dinosaurs instead of them, sure.
Going that far back? I can understand dragons but not Prehistoric reptiles, some may be cool like the water ones but stuff like T-Rex and Raptors would be a little weird. Maybe for a mod or something.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
In all honesty: Dragons are hard. They're big, fancy, and usually complex one way or the other. I could see them (or other big lizards) show up later as eager contributors will it, and I'd love to see them, but I'm not going to hold my breath in the short to mid-term :)