Contributor Hey everyone, I'm Ethan.

morrilet

Contributor
  • Name: Ethan 'morrilet' Morrill-Ploum
  • Social:
  • From: Illinois (US). Currently living in Montreal (Canada).
  • Skills / Tools: C#, Java, HTML, CSS, Photoshop, Unity. Currently learning some simple C++ and Javascript.
  • Found via: Google Summer of Code! (GSoC)
  • Interests: I'm passionate game design and implementing systems. As far as Terasology goes, I'm interested in making modules or creating games. After a quick glance through the GSoC ideas list, I'd be interested in the Exploration World idea (I saw that it was already done with the Lost module, but perhaps there's some interest in a tower defense game or dungeon crawler to showcase the flexibility of the engine) or working on Cubic Finite Planets (Issue #3161).
  • Extra: I've been making little jam games for a few years now, and I've been working on some more long-term projects as well. I haven't worked on an open source project yet, nor have I worked on a game of this size, but I've forked the repository and I'm excited to start contributing!
Update (3/22/18)
I've just finished the second draft of my Finite Worlds GSoC proposal, and I'd love some feedback on it! I'm still working to pull it into scope a bit, as well as figure out the best way to handle things like 'cubic' facets, so if you have any input regarding that stuff I'd be interested to hear it.Here's my proposal on google docs.

Update (3/26/18)
I probably should've made a top-level update sooner, but my GSoC proposal draft has been moved here. I went ahead and cut a lot of stuff out, focusing solely on the world generation bits, so I figured it best to save it as a different file.

Last edited:

Michael

Contributor
Architecture
you can also look through the modules under the Terasology github. You can probably suggest something else if you find something else that is more interesting. Always good to contact the orgs before GSOC :D.

github(dot)com/Terasology

morrilet

Contributor
you can also look through the modules under the Terasology github. You can probably suggest something else if you find something else that is more interesting. Always good to contact the orgs before GSOC :D.

github(dot)com/Terasology
Huh, I hadn't given the existing modules nearly enough thought! There's tons of interesting stuff in there.
Thanks for the tip!

vampcat

Bug Hunter Extraordinaire
Contributor
Sorry for the link issue, we had to disable it temporarily because of spam. Should be working again - feel free to edit your original post if you want.

Regarding game ideas: dungeon crawler, yes please!
Sure, tower defense works as well.. but yk, not nearly as amazing :p

Also, hell yeah cubic planets! Way more complicated, but potentially more fun as well. Can integrate something like TD or DC in cubic world as well - the possibilities are endless.

Last edited:

morrilet

Contributor
Sorry for the link issue, we had to disable it temporarily because of spam. Should be working again - feel free to edit your original post if you want.

Regarding game ideas: dungeon crawler, yes please!
Sure, tower defense works as well.. but yk, not nearly as amazing :p

Also, hell yeah cubic planets! Way more complicated, but potentially more fun as well. Can integrate something like TD or DC in cubic world as well - the possibilities are endless.
Updated my links, thanks!

And yeah, cubic planets definitely seem like the bigger fish, but the thought of it is inspiring. Plus now all I can think about is a cross between a traditional tower defense game and Fez...

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Hi @morrilet and welcome :)

Since we're talking about game modes here I would like to throw in our Light and Shadow game concept sthat was artfully designed some time ago. We have some bits and pieces done in the corresponding modules (you can find models and texture), and by now most technical requirements should also be in place (e.g., dialogs, quests, ...).
Also worth noting is the Metal Renegades concept for which you could go in a wild west/steam-punky direction - we already have rails and carts with some additional features, definitely a solid base to build a gameplay mode on!

morrilet

Contributor
Hi @morrilet and welcome :)

Since we're talking about game modes here I would like to throw in our Light and Shadowgame concept sthat was artfully designed some time ago. We have some bits and pieces done in the corresponding modules (you can find models and texture), and by now most technical requirements should also be in place (e.g., dialogs, quests, ...).
Also worth noting is the Metal Renegades concept for which you could go in a wild west/steam-punky direction - we already have rails and carts with some additional features, definitely a solid base to build a gameplay mode on!
Those both seem like awesome ideas. I could definitely see myself getting behind either, but so far I'm leaning towards Metal Renegades... I'll have to give it some thought, thanks!

morrilet

Contributor
I've just finished the second draft of my Finite Worlds GSoC proposal, and I'd love some feedback on it! I'm still working to pull it into scope a bit, as well as figure out the best way to handle things like 'cubic' facets, so if you have any input regarding that stuff I'd be interested to hear it.
Here's my proposal on google docs. -> I'm leaving this up, but it's now very much out of date. I've posted the new proposal just below!

Last edited:

morrilet

Contributor
Okay, I made some big changes to my proposal to tighten up the scope and make it more iterative. I'm focusing solely on the world generation part of finite worlds now, and would love some feedback so I can get some more tweaking done before the proposal window closes.
Here's the new proposal.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Left more feedback! Definitely "shaping" up, hah, hah ... yeah... Keep it coming :)

I don't know enough about facets to really get some warm fuzzies there about estimates and what's realistic. Maybe @msteiger @Skaldarnar @Josharias

General comment about the timeline: If you're getting into keeping the same elements in multiple weeks you might want to reassess if you can create differently defined blocks of stuff to work on, so you can have more concrete goals week by week. Otherwise it is very easy to end up with time slips and having a hard time knowing where you're actually at.

In other words: One GSOC we were using ZenHub and story points on GitHub issues, meaning you could have a nice burndown chart for a given GSOC project. At that point the smaller the tasks the better and more accurate the burndown chart becomes. Continuing items on the other hand don't give you any completed points until you're done :)

morrilet

Contributor
Thanks for the feedback, it's a huge help! And yeah, I'd love a second opinion on the facet idea before I submit the final version if anyone's got the time to spare.

Good point on the timeline stuff. I'll go ahead and break it up into more byte-sized chunks.