Source Hey there!

AtharvaKhare

Hello!
I am a Computer Engineering undergad in India. The idea "Port advanced organic growth simulator from Python" caught my eye and I have been trying to understand the codebase since. I have finished Asset system tutorial and have started the World Generation one. The TerasologyTrees, and GrowingFlora , PlantPack modules are fantastic, and I would start playing with them as soon as I finish tutorials.
Another idea I liked is "Genome Integrations", although I haven't had time to see this in detail.
  • Name: Atharva Khare
  • Social: https://github.com/AtharvaKhare
  • Skills / Tools: Advanced Python, Intermediate Java, "Hobby" game dev done in Unity(C#)
  • Found via: Google Summer of Code
  • Interests: I started learning programming by game dev (first due to GameMaker, then Unity). I try to code new algorithms in Unity, because it makes learning much more fun! I think the modularity of Terasology is a great concept, and would be easier to play around in here than Unity.
  • Questions:
    1. As mentors, what prerequisites are you expecting from students with decent proposal?
    2. What modules should I look into for "Port advanced organic growth simulator from Python" and "Genome Integrations"?
    3. I am thinking of implementing a module to get used to the codebase. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi there and welcome!

The Python growth simulator on its own is a pretty old concept at this point and was used partly as inspiration for GrowingFlora. You don't necessarily need to do a straight port of the original code, more use it further for inspiration.

Genome on the other hand has seen pretty recent activity and has a lot of unexplored potential - including in fact for plants, which could factor into the Python growth simulator. Maybe you could come up with a mixture that adds more stats and requirements to plants and then allow the player to breed them to change the growth patterns

Coincidentally as you popped up on Discord I was just talking to another student about not really needing to reach out to anybody specific to talk about your item. We like to keep everything out in the open and you don't need to worry about another student "stealing" your idea or anything :)

So hang out on Discord/IRC and ask occasionally if there's anybody around with some related knowledge and time to discuss, or post a thread over in the Suggestions forum with your initial ideas. Or even just continue right here in this thread

Prerequisites are pretty much basic programming requirements, your personality and eagerness + ability to learn are far more important!

Check out the Anatomy and WildAnimalsGenome modules if you haven't yet (although WildAnimals may be broken at the moment due to our v2 engine merge - should be fixed soon). You can look at them some via the latest stable release on GitHub if you can't run them from source yet, also search out the anatomy GSOC item from last year :)

As for a new module idea: you don't need to make a new one, if you start experimenting with some of the related ones and find a bug or have a small idea you can implement simply try that! Both shows you're looking and working in the right area already