Implementation Josharias Survival

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
One may use the rocks from the surface to create the starting crude hammer, which can then be further refined (by smashing with another crude hammer) into an axe and shovel.

prestidigitator

Contributor
I think there's a chicken & egg problem. Fireplace requires mallet; mallet requires nuggests; nuggests (I'm guessing) require fireplace. There doesn't seem to be a way to break in from scratch.

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
Heyo @prestidigitator It does indeed look like I missed that dependency. It should have allowed using the crude hammer to assemble the hearth and fireplace.

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
Added integration with InGameHelp for all the workstation processes. Now there is extra information derived from the crafting processes in the help screen. Next up is to revamp the process list when using a machine and link in the help system.

FireplaceHelp.PNG stickhelp.PNG

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
InGameHelp for items now includes more icons for heat, time, and skill.

moaricons.png

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Awesome - was wondering if you already had icons :)

Think it would be an idea to come with with some sort of border or alignment options? It looks just a little jumbled :D

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
Agreed. Vertical aligning or making the images all the same height would do wonders for comprehension. I am not sure if I am ready to start adding borders around everything. (my day job has way too many imposed borders, I am still reeling)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
We must invent ... inverse borders. Think inside the box, inversely.

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
Tweaks made to the way in game help integrates in with the Workstation processes. I made a quick video about it...

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
Also, I have finally addressed the tool requirement problem. The in game help now shows you what tools can be used for each process. Here is a gif of the UI switching between the different tools one can use. This list of tools will automatically accomodate new tools added to the system. Also, its the first time I made an animated gif, fun!

Tool requirement icons.gif

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Fun! Also, I see you cheating! Your hunger and thirst bars runneth over :D

Very nice video, would like to highlight it when we have the code in the next Omega. Maybe we can aim for a release this coming weekend?

chessandgo

Contributor
Hunter
Recording ideas from IRC:

High level, or just crafting in general, should be more of a web then a line. Given creative freedom,and the range of worlds that can be put in (specifically all the biomes you could get placed in once we get those together), there should be many ways tools and materials are interconnected. For example if you start out in a desert, there should be a way to at least do some basic stuff with out wood. (perhaps weak reed tools). But again this shouldn't be to say that all biomes are equal, there should be intresting things only in certain biomes. (for example some kind of ice/snow things in the coldeer. Perhahs a whole branch of bee keeping if in the right forest. Special crops garner special tools. Perhaps volcanoes are good forges, and in that case, can be used to to by pase the manual creation and crafting of things like furncaes and ovens, etc.

A big problem in large minecraft mod packs is too many items, transitional items, not in house syndrome, and objects being single purpose/only useful at a certain level.

We already combate a decent amount of NIH by our libraries/frame works (keep at it, they're quite nice. Still need nuggets, blocks, liquids, dusts, and bars for every ore we have), but a larger problemis transitional items. They are items only used in one recipe, usually just another item, and they have no use or other purpose. (for example creating ion thrusters for power armor do nothing themselves, they are just parts of another even more complex recipe). As well as certain objects being to tiered. (which was adressed in the first section). Sure some of the higher levels are advanced, but many parts of them should have other uses, perhaps as blocks or weapons. Perhaps you make a Cauldron for/from some high level magic. It should still be useful to boil your potatoes in, or use to store random liquids. How ever that is not to say tiers are bad, they should still exist.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
The tech web in Civilization: Beyond Earth was one of the very few things I liked about the game, other than the colorful graphics and neato resources. It didn't really matter much since the game itself was so thin and pointless, but the concept is neat enough. CivBE had affinities, a Terasology / JS tech web could have something similar starting with biome directions and leading to a fitting specialization. So volcanic lands could focus on fire and deserts on minimalism / stealth. Maybe that could be something :)

As an example forges and related machinery could be driven by geothermal/lava in volcano-land, coal in hills/mountains, charcoal in forests, solar energy in deserts, etc. Each web direction could also highlight a particular architectural / art style.

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
I agree, minimizing lock-in to a specific module (or put another way, allowing cross integration of modules) is definitely high on my priority list. Currently the workstation module accommodates that well in that any machine can import in all crafting operations as another machine. So if I wanted to make another furnace, I could add in a block definition that includes the same process types.

I dont know how far we can go with enabling all items to do something. There are going to be times where a certain sprocket is only used for crafting purposes. But we can put effort into doing as best we can to minimize this.

On a similar but different note, I have put in some basic metrics on the craftable items. It describes how many steps there are to create an item. This could help some issues around excessive crafting steps (like your ion thrusters example, yes those were painful to make) by having some data to identify overly long crafting steps.

The metrics I would like to have for each item would be something like:
  • Crafting depth (how many different operations to create an item)
  • Unique crafting width (how many different types of items are required to create an item)
  • Crafting width (how many individual items are required to create an item)
  • Crafting time
  • Uncraftable item count (how many items are involved in the crafting process are found outside of a crafting process. This would typically be things found in the world like dirt, ore blocks, tree trunks, etc)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Suggestion now that we have tasks/quests and an updated minimap - overhaul the JS tutorial (could probably do TTA eventually too) to trigger quests for each step on what to do next. So instead of having to remember opening the help system / journal (which you can still do for more instructions) you get the little quest tracker with the stuff you need for any next step. So:
  1. Gather 0/1 tree trunk
  2. Acquire 0/1 workbench (craft via 'i')
  3. Gather 0/1 rock (from ground) + 0/1 stick (from tree branches)
  4. Acquire 0/1 blunt hammer (craft in workbench, open via 'e')
To get even neater and fancier, specifically keeping in mind the step mostly everybody gets stuck on in TTA which is overly mineral poor: find and place quest beacons on the nearest resource needed for said quest and put the beacon on the minimap.

Probably @msteiger already thought about the combination of quest beacons + minimap I just don't recall reading it anywhere so it just suddenly struck me. You could totally detect the nearest location to the place with a coal or tin deposit then place a translucent ! or whatever on the minimap in its direction, making it appear smaller if it is below the player's height or larger if it is above. Or use the space flight sim approach of adding a stick to a target so an L shape means the target (horizontal bar) is as relatively far below the player as the vertical line indicates, or a 7 for things above the player.

For bonus points I'd still "attach" the quests/tasks to some physical object like a starting book / scrap of paper so the player can "disable" the quest by simply dropping the book, rather than fiddle with UI options or hot keys.

Can you imagine how sweet that would be to test in multiplayer, with individual players having their own instance of the quest with nearest beacons, that change as you move around or other players consume a target resource? :) Probably we need a background thread option to run slow low priority searches like that.

hansonry

Just stumbled upon Terasology and this mod today. It's pretty amazing!

I have noticed that the fire place needs to be replaced after the first couple of usages to heat the hearth correctly. I am playing in Single Player.

Also, I am a bit stuck, is there a way to make charcoal? I also found coal, but I can't figure out what to do with coal chunks.