My 3D models, and video tutorials for the project.

XenonCoder

@Skaldarnar
Thanks so much. Now I work on the conversion and optimization of the super low poly meshes, without losing details, you will have the opportunity to read my wiki that describes step by step my conversion technique (I studied for months to achieve this quality).

I will open a new thread to make everything tidier, because now I have the definitive concept for voxel models, and I think it's best for all those who want to help me and view my work by asking for advice and more.

Today I tested my module with the new vanilla blocks (with the textures I'm making), very soon I'll publish the screenshots that show the new textures.

The modding system that uses Terasology is brilliant! very intuitive and easy, I just have to extend some concepts in the official wiki because some things are not described correctly (example: gradlew eclipse, under linux is ./gradlew eclipse, without "./" the scipt does not start). Little things, nothing serious.

To create my module I went to logic, fortunately I know Java (good foundation, nothing more) and in the end I find myself very well. Truly a good job, the best modding system ever.

As soon as I open the new public thread, the first converted models (github repository), the vanilla block screenshots (VanillaBlocks module), and other screenshots describing in short what I did, and what I want to do now that I have a lot of material

The GPL license I created it randomly, just to have an official open license, I'm available to change the license, for me it does not matter, if you want I can release all my material with Apache 2.0 license, which is the same as Terasology project. I await your instructions for this.

Contact also @Florian on github because I noticed that he is working on a module for the creation and selection of playable characters, he can definitely be useful.

Thank you so much, I will update you soon.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
I will have a look at the wiki when I find the time... :) Go ahead with the new thread, your work deserves its own place to shine :)

Apache 2.0 would definitely be a better fit. I don't want to push you to anything here, just would make our lives easier and would allow us to simply bundle your models and modules with our "fully playable" releases. So, if it does not matter for you, switching to Apache 2.0 would be highly appreciated!

XenonCoder

@Skaldarnar Thank you for your answer.

I just changed the license from GPL to Apache 2.0. As I said for me an open license is the other, what counts is the community and the passion we put into the project ;)

Now I have to solve a problem with my texture pack, I tried to modify the tilesheet "tiles.png" included in the "/.terasology/screenshots" folder, initially I believed that this tilesheet was in that folder (screenshots) by mistake, or because it was old and in disuse. I discovered that in reality the game uses that tilesheet for textures, which have a size of 32x32 pixels. My textures are 16x16 pixels, I have however tested a texture (oak_planks.png), inserting it with Gimp, saved the tiles again, I start the game, I create a new flat map (MedievalCities) and I discover an amazing thing!

my texture does not appear in play, so I go to check the original tilesheet and find out that it has been completely regenerated, reset! I did other tests and I discovered that the game starts regenerating the tilesheet every time. I've never asked for help for anything in my life, but now I'm scared :D, because I do not know how to replace the original textures with those that I did.

Help me *___*

Thanks for all :love:

Last edited:

XenonCoder

@vampcat Thanks so much. I invite you to visit the official repository of my works: https://github.com/XenonCoder/Terasology_Warehouse_Resources/wiki

I'm working on the wiki, where I will describe all the workflow, the conventions I use, the necessary software, the conversion and optimization of the models to be implemented in Terasology, and much more. My wiki is intended to be an excellent resource for defining the standard of models, and design for Terasology vanilla.

Thank you for your nice comment, I put all my experience, my passion, and all of myself in this project. Although for a long time I was absent for family reasons and my difficult life, now I want to dedicate my free time to this project that I have always considered promising and with great potential.

Terasology should never be a clone of MC! I want only the main features of MC, with more advanced features, a classic design (MC style, without objects and round shapes, and blocks that distort the design).

Terasology uses the same technologies as MC, and I noticed that lately you have implemented the library "libGDX", so we have all the resources to extend the project and make it unique, with a much higher depth of MC and MT (for MT it really takes little actually: D).

I'm writing my post for the "Suggestions" section, where I'm going to describe my ideas to define a solid standard to allow developers, artists, and modders to set precise goals in the design phase.

Over the course of a year, I had many good ideas, which I noted, experimented, and finally selected, to then be included in my github repository, so as to allow everyone to follow my reasoning, ideas, and development techniques.

Everyone is invited to contact me, to collaborate on my project, and to exchange suggestions, ideas and experiences.

Thank you all.

vampcat

Bug Hunter Extraordinaire
Contributor
Jow that I have a little more time - yes, the tileset is regenerated every time the game is started. Most of the tiles you see are in the "core" module. If you just want to change their appearance, go to "modules/Core/assets/blocktiles" and change the png there. You might have to recompile the game (either via intelliJ, or through gradlew to see the changes.

If you need more help, feel free to ping me! :)

XenonCoder

@vampcat Thank you. I was able to find all the textures inside the "core" module yesterday, as you told me. Now I can finally see my textures in action, but the textures path and the organization of the folders for the resources is one of the aspects that needs to be improved, for a future texture pack insertion option.

I use Eclipse to compile the source, I've been using it for years and I'm very happy with this IDE. Now I can study the core module, to better understand the implementation of new blocks and all the nodebox definitions.

Thanks so much.

XenonCoder

@vampcat A textures folder, or res inside the release or develop folder. A main folder with all the resources divided by category (blocks, ui, menu and other) in this way is much easier to find all the resources and work on them.

Basically the same organization of folders that uses MC and MT, it is very practical and convenient, otherwise every time you have to open the .jar archives and find the resources. In addition to this all modules use the Terasology root folder.

@vampcat But are you one of the official developers who are dedicated to the Terasology rendering engine? if it is so I love you very much :D

Thank you

Last edited:

vampcat

Bug Hunter Extraordinaire
Contributor
Considering the fact that I'm relatively new to the project, I won't take much of credit. Most of the rendering work was done by people over the years - and they did an amazing job of it as well :D

> In addition to this all modules use the Terasology root folder.
The primary reason to separate everything out into their own folders is to separate assets (and hence prevent clashes) between modules. However, yes, i personally agree with your assessment that it can be better organized.

XenonCoder

@vampcat Thank you very much for your confirmation. I am interested in understanding the organization of the project, to decide what to work on.

Thank you

XenonCoder

I am very close to the final solution. The models are optimized very well, I just have to better adjust the "remesh" and other modifiers to lower the number of vertices again.

The conversion of the Magicavoxel color palette into textures looks like in the image below as you can see.

No fear! I solved with an effective makeup! import the model in .ply format, copy the mesh, optimize it, and finally convert the materials of the main mesh into textures (for the second copied mesh that serves us).

it's a long work, because there is no automatic and easy way to completely convert .vox models into traditional mesh formats (obj, x, fbx, dae, md5).

I have many notes that I will use for the wiki of my repository, if someone has better solutions, contact me, I'm at your disposal.

Blender rendering, with activated ambient occlusion:

Screenshot of the model imported into Blender, note at the top right the number of vertices, sides and faces. Now I have managed to further lower the density of polygons, the definitive mesh will be clean without all the sides and vertices you see here in a wireframe view.

Thank you all.

XenonCoder

I'm doing other tests with Goxel.

The model exported in .ply format has the advantage of keeping the mesh clean composed of all voxels (as you can see from the screenshot made in Blender).

I found an easier way to convert all models, now I just have to convert some whole models, and separate parts of the body to make sure everything is perfect.

I will update you as soon as possible.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Although I might be a bit late on the texture set topic... did you already have a look the the Textures wiki page and the Asset Tutorial? For a texture pack you want to make use of overrides, i.e., replacing existing textures with new ones you own module. They don't need to have the same size, so don't worry if yours are bigger or smaller than the original ones.

However, I have to say that I don't know what excatly our engine does if there are multiple overrides for one asset file. I'm not sure whether anyone tested this so far, so you might be the first to explore this ;)

XenonCoder

@Skaldarnar You're right, in fact I noticed that the engine still requires a lot of optimization and organization in its structure. For example, the bloom effects, the visible area (chunk) and other advanced graphics settings, should be disabled by default, otherwise Terasology is quite heavy for a medium-low-end PC.

The organization of the folders for the resources should be inserted in the main folder (stable, Develop) and all the modules take the resources by connecting to the "res" folder.

I am writing a post for the suggestions section, where I would like to define a standard for the vanilla project. Obviously, my opinions are based on my experience, but in my opinion defining a precise standard is important to ensure the quality of the project in the long term and to make it always better and more complete.

I do my best to test the new textures and other graphic resources.

When Terasology will have a well-defined creative modality, then everything will be easier and more fun.