WIP Player/NPCs models

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I like him. Nice fit, goes really well with the earlier discussion and ideas :)

Josh

Contributor
Hunter
If there were dwarf's that one guy from the yogscast is little weird about them, If he did a review of Terasology when it was released that would make the game popular :p

Perdemot

Contributor
Art
World
What do you guys think about the cartonish drawing approach of "The walking dead" i really like their textures.
And I wonderd if it wouldn't be a good idea to take similar textures for our creatures.
They would be 2 times as big as the ones we use atm. but it would look better (at least i think)
There wouldn't be to much more details, but the details would be better made.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Which Walking Dead thing? That franchise is expanding so much I'm losing track :)

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
Mechanist with steam-bot. The steam-bot's "hands" can be fitted with multiple attchments. Claws for harvesting materials, drills for mining, weapons, etc.

The back of the bot contains a small boiler for burning any combustible material. There is an access panel on front if repair to the gears is necessary.

minebot.png

Josh

Contributor
Hunter
Mechanist with steam-bot. The steam-bot's "hands" can be fitted with multiple attchments. Claws for harvesting materials, drills for mining, weapons, etc.

The back of the bot contains a small boiler for burning any combustible material. There is an access panel on front if repair to the gears is necessary.

View attachment 547
If you make a model i'll make it a minion, just say what features you would like with it, Like better mining, and other material gathering.

basilix

Contributor
Art
Nym Traveel i will give it a try too, i just dont have anything to do at the moment but you make em too, im not sure when i can finnish or post em here...

Perdemot

Contributor
Art
World
I would like to see more details on them:/
they look so plain and maybe too simple.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I would like to see more details on them:/
they look so plain and maybe too simple.
You mean something like that Steampunk bot? That already seems hugely detailed, at least comparatively, imho :)

But maybe if the Mo'Creatures crocs fit into MC just fine higher details mobs like that would fit in here too

Perdemot

Contributor
Art
World
You mean something like that Steampunk bot? That already seems hugely detailed, at least comparatively, imho :)
I'm mainly talking about the textures :)
The robot is pretty detailed though from the mesh, but the textures are a bit too simple at least from my point of view.

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
Simple textures look like the preference so far: ;)

Textures: Cartoony (smooth, simple, bright) 10 vote(s) 71.4%

Regardless, anything I put up here I'm totally doing from a conceptual art point. So these are just ideas for all of us to work off of and nothing more. If they evolve into something further that'd be really cool (I'd love to see a 3D version of the steam-bot!!); if not, also fine. :) I'm trying to put more art out there just so we have more reference points about style and culture. Getting a visual representation of the current cultures that populate our game world (as is currently in my head) is really helpful to me in terms of creative process. What do they look like, what do they wear, how do they think, what tools do they use ... I think all these things sort of speak volumes when we see something visually. Hopefully the more "stuff" we collectively put out there, the more inspiration we'll get from each other and hopefully get more content generated.

I'm working on the female Naturalist right now and some of their tamed beasties. I was thinking since the Mechanists have various bots to assist them in their labors, maybe the Naturalists are gifted at taming and training the local fauna to do their bidding. Maybe sabre-cat style mounts, some kind of giant mole creatures to dig and harvest ore, birds for catching fish or harvesting berries.

In terms of eventual gameplay, maybe the players could, at some point, build "bases" and populate those bases with NPCs that include both humanoids and also these "pets" that perform specific functions. It might be that the basic drilling steam bot requires only a few resources to construct; while some larger "war-droid" is quite costly.

Anyway, back to art ... again these are concepts; so if we choose to do a more "detached limb" approach, we could remove certain portions of the limbs or joints of these models or scrap them all together when something better comes along.

glasz

Contributor
Art
The poll is going slightly in favor of attached limbs. I wont mind if we drop detached limbs, i liked the idea of having creatures with floating part and still having them feel whole, butnow i see it more as a gimmick and an uneccessary challenge than anything, there are probably better ways to unify the style. I'll try to draw attached limbs in the future.

Maybe i should specify : not attached as in only one mesh, because rigging a single mesh and having it deform right is a pain, especially with low polycount, but as with overlaping parts feeling like attached.

Perdemot

Contributor
Art
World
I would wait a little since there haven't been many people voting :)
We might wanna ask the German Terasology-forum to make a similar vote.
Since there are many people hanging out there

glasz

Contributor
Art
Sure, i'm just speaking on a personnal level, not as someone who whants to weight in ;) I'll go with whatever people prefer. But i'd like to try attached.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Textures - I don't personally mind more detail, if it makes sense, like with that Croc. Isn't it harder to do higher detail? Or somehow a little easier being less constrained?

The poll is just to get an idea, and it has sort of surprised me some. The culture diversion for instance is almost even, so maybe it would work to have some creatures with attached limbs and others without