Sub-block billboard plants

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Just posted over in the other thread - food for thought: It might not so much be the level of detail as the type of detail. The angulons are a perfect example of something that probably would fit in (maintains emphasis on sharp edges) while curvy plants - maybe not so much. But what if the plants were detailed but got somewhat sharpened? Think cacti made out of smaller and smaller cubes for an example

woodspeople

Contributor
Design
I don't care about the plants, if you think that. I couldn't care less about the plants. My point is that if people go with an 8 bit style because it's what you are supposed to do, and even though it feels boring we say "that's what you have to do", then nobody will find it interesting enough to go on. Are people excited about the 8-bit style, or are they resigned to it? That's what I've been trying to find out. It doesn't sound to me like anybody's all that excited about it. That's not good.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Personally I'm more excited about the procedural potential in both creatures and plants than the exact shape they take on graphically - tho re-use of existing material also ranks up there :)

Too low detail / too close to "true" 8 bit would make that goal more difficult.

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
I don't care about the plants, if you think that
nobody said anything about the plants, and if anyone did it was me and that's because it's a concept I don't plan on dropping, I just have no idea how to export the plants correctly at this point, I'm sure everyone is curious to see the result, even if it only was to secure their doubts.

eleazzaar

Contributor
Art
vacation time:
No more plants from me until the beginning of July

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
vacation time:
No more plants from me until the beginning of July
Alright - enjoy your vacation! I'll be out myself a week starting June 30th, but will be bringing a laptop so I'll be kinda-sorta around anyway... ;)

eleazzaar

Contributor
Art
This weeks installment: growing cotton.
Staring: invisible cotton and cotton flowers against a white background

cotton-1.pngcotton-2.pngcotton-3.pngcotton-4.pngcotton-5.pngcotton-6.png

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
They look pretty good if you open them directly in the forum's image gallery thingie, then they get a black background - nicely done :)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

eleazzaar

Contributor
Art
It must be some sort of in-game processing, because the icons in inventory look right, and the dandelion being held looks much more normal. Was that shot under evening light?
It seems that only certain color ranges are effected-- notice how the darkest, greens on the iris escape the yellowing effect.

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
I believe the shader for rendering the world has some logic for changing the colour of grass based on the climate - not sure how it determines which blocks and which parts of those blocks should have their colour altered. Possibly the alpha channel, in which case the alpha channel needs to be set up correctly.

eleazzaar

Contributor
Art
Hmm, looks like i accidentally sent you indexed .PNGs instead of full color RGB files.

You may want to try these instead.

Attachments

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hmm, looks like i accidentally sent you indexed .PNGs instead of full color RGB files.

You may want to try these instead.
Will do tonight. Was waiting to see how we could fix those two before adding the rest from this thread, think the others like cotton etc are in the right format? If that ends up mattering, anyway.

eleazzaar

Contributor
Art
It looks that they are all indexed files. I'll resend them all if that ends up being a problem.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Tested with the two new files - no dice as expected. It is the shader trick or what not - pinging begla for confirmation and thoughts on how to fix :D

I figure probably just a flag in the block definition for whether or not to apply climate tricks or something like that.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Created #294 real quick for the shading trick thing, tho I probably got some details wrong - it'll serve as a reminder, anyway :)

I also finally dug out all of the pending blocks from eleazzaar that had not yet been paired with a block definition and checked them in. Yay more plants! Took a little while to get to these, but better late than never - thanks eleazzaar! :D

Oop, maybe not all added just yet. Filed #295 :derp: