TeraCraft - Experimental Tekkit-based MC Server

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Edit Sept 30th 2013: Offline again for now, traffic spike ;) Traffic normal again, back up :)

Edit August 10 2013: Server briefly online again while my wife's niece visits - running Hexxit via the Technic launcher. "movingblocks.net" - no whitelist etc, just be nice and keep language PG-13, kids may be playing :)

Edit: Server offline - might come back for events sometime

Edit: I put the wrong Minions link on here at first, the 1.3.2 version. Fixed now and some more direct links added for now. If you installed the 1.3.2 minions addon you might crash on opening its menu (via 'M') - in that case just delete the directories it added and redo from the right zip (just overriding isn't good enough)

Edit2: If you get invisible Mo'Creatures you might have ended up with version 3.7.1 instead of 3.6.2 (the link below should be right). Unzipping files might also cause trouble (other than the first step for minions)

Edit3: Minions disabled for now, can cause server crashes

This is set up on our web host for use as inspiration / testing for Terasology design as well as simply having fun with the fellow community members around here. It is however not really intended for a stable long-term community server, although we have one of those too shared with EVE University (where I'm in management - yes, we are hierarchical corporations not guilds, complete with spreadsheets and bureaucracy, spaceships are srs bsns!) but that's limited to contributors only.

From now till the weekend the server is in testing mode, then I'll reset for the birthday event on Saturday. Not sure what'll happen after then, but tweaks might be done to the server on short notice, although of course some thought will go into avoiding arbitrary bad stuff :)

Server is Tekkit based with everything enabled (including EE!) and open for use. Difficulty is set to HARD (which is extra hard due to one added mod, but extra easy due to another added mod and Tekkit itself). Only rule is no griefing / be nice. Current world doesn't have any swamps near Spawn but I found enough rubber trees here and there anyway - but replant if you take those or other rare resources.

Whitelist is enabled and I've started it out with the same whitelist as UniCraft so if you're already on that one you don't need to ask to be whitelisted for this one. Get your entry in so you can join the birthday event!

Encouraged activity: Collaborative projects near spawn meant to simulate how a later-stage Terasology might work. For example building a Dwarf Fortress / Dungeon Keeper lair in full 3D imagining the creatures that might inhabit it and what their needs might be. I've learned stuff just from Unicraft like how much bigger rooms get than in DF, especially if you add wiring between floors / in the walls.

Server: movingblocks.net (need Tekkit launcher + 4 mod zips added to its mods dir)

Mods beyond Tekkit (using adfly links where I found them to support the modders):
  • Mo'Creatures- download as zips and place straight in [userdir]/.techniclauncher/tekkit/mods (do notextract the zips!):
    • http://adf.ly/8Npbx - Mo'Creatures main file v3.6.2 (direct link)
    • http://adf.ly/AsJMw - custom mob spawner dependency v1.5.1 (direct link)
    • http://bit.ly/Hl3tPT - GUI dependency v0.14.2-1.2.5 (may be optional, doesn't seem to work in SMP anyway?)
    • Play note: This adds a LOT more creatures including some that can be very destructive which goes well with the idea of Terasology being much more dynamic with defenses more important. See their wiki for creature details(spoilers!) - special notes for:
      • Ogres - infamous block-destroyer vastly more destructive than Endermen. Will happily destroy fancy machinery, chests, etc, and will apparently path toward the player through solid blocks from quite a distance (can spawn below you, in caves)
      • Goats - covert danger, will happily eat anything off the ground including all that gear you just dropped after being smushed by an Ogre ;)
      • Crocs - can "grab" you and will try to drag you into water. Not actually sure how to get free, I just mash buttons.
      • Wraiths - can spawn at night and are semi-transparent and hard to see. And some of them set you on fire ..
  • Minions - bit fancier than ours, very much like Imps from DK - it is like they were written for overdhose ... ;)
    • http://adf.ly/7I1Lh - for 1.2.5, extract and grab the stuff under CLIENT for the launcher dir's "mods" (don't unzip that zip) and "resources" subdirs (alt direct link)
    • Play note: These only become available after you reach level 8 and then have a goofy "Do evil" GUI trick where you just need to click a random (goofy) evil act button four times. 'M' is the hot key (which conflicts with "mode select" - can change that hot key in the GUI or Minion's hot key in its config file). When you "activate" that way you get a special command rod and can summon + make the minions chop down trees, do your mining for you, etc. I've barely had a chance to play with it so far.
Temp world has a few interesting landmarks within a kilometer or so of spawn, including the biggest oil spout I've ever seen along with some decent volcanoes. I just flew around in a local copy of the world and haven't personally done anything yet on the server. I don't even fully remember where the oil spout is :D

GiantOil.pngGiantVolcano.pngGiantVolcano2.png
Also see the community thread for an extra (keeping that out of a public forum just in case to avoid scan-bots)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Bump - fixed a link, sorry about that :)

I made a small safe area by spawn and made it up to level 8 to activate the minions - they're pretty OP ;)

Experiencing some odd occasional lag spikes, even when I'm on solo. Might be since I'm across an ocean, anybody in Germany able to provoke lag or all is well? Mostly block/item placement, combat seems fine (huh)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Whitelist stuff:

Added Chaozbrother - Lienhard

A few existing entries for people who have been online:

itsazebra = Skaldarnar
perdemot = Perdemot (surprise!)
ilblobo = glasz

I also restarted the server as it apparently crashed. And this is why we want to do multiplayer right... :)

Perdemot

Contributor
Art
World
It crashed again :(
I believe it's because of the minion mod. When my 4 Minions start working it goes well for a little time. But then it just crashes :C

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I'd be inclined to agree - looks like it is a pathing issue for the minions. First error:

2012-09-28 11:50:27 [INFO] onTaskNotPathable [284|11|111], skipping task

After you had been on for about 8 minutes. Then pathing errors slowly get worse and eventually turn into exceptions with outright AStar pathing references in them and finally the server crashes. From the author and the mod changelog it sounds like that's a fairly common issue and a lot of fixes have gone in since, but require MC 1.3.2 - might have to wait till then to enable :(

Server is back up with minions disabled

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
oooh :( Minions worked fine for me... then I've got to have a look on all that Tekkit stuff...

eleazzaar

Contributor
Art
I may check it out: Minecraft name: eleazzaar

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Birthday event has concluded :)

Server stays up, everything enabled, no constraints (other than being nice, of course - don't encroach on other people's stuff or destroy the world, etc). I might re-enable minions sometime despite its crash risk, but if so during a weekend where I can more easily be able to restart the server if needed.

Future plans for the server: Still encouraging its use to include some relation to Terasology, such as building as if you're housing a small army of different creatures and workshops to get a feel for how much work it is to get around and keep track of everything. A very short-term suggested purpose is having good visualization for how to add multi-block dig commands to our miniions.

I could see an upgrade to FTB modpack within a few months, maybe at the same time as another run at the End since it'll require a world reset. As much as I'd like to encourage long-term play on our server that isn't really its goal, we've got Unicraft for that, which is less sandboxy and experimental, meant for long-term stable play.

Of course world downloads will be freely provided if desired. Did anybody want the copy of the initial test world? If not I'll go ahead and deleted it soon.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Bump. Server is back up - crashed (or more accurately almost entirely locked up) days ago due to some sort of massive CPU overload in a single chunk overloaded with mechanics or EE or something - I don't know exactly what as I couldn't even approach the area in McEdit, had to just delete the crazy chunk from a distance :cowbell:

Seeing the madness EE can bring has also more or less decimated my interest in "roughing it" to any meaningful degree, and since that's what Unicraft is for anyway I figure we can move to free build on request on TeraCraft if it helps in some experimental fashion - as long as it doesn't break the server or anything, and doesn't encroach on other people's stuff ;)

I still haven't fixed some of the damage at spawn (AI turtle uprising?) so the safehouse isn't safe at all at the moment

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Spawn area has been cleaned up, painstakingly manually, block by block, as EE hax and world edit tools still mess with my Zen thing. Should be fairly safe again (and pretty)

I don't expect that the server will be very active, I'll likely use it once in a while to test an addon (like the minion one again) or build a DF-style lair to get a feel for it. If I play MC "for real" it'll probably be on the Unicraft server since it is balanced, has actual backups, stability, and crazy stuff like that. No backups or anything fancy for TeraCraft right now.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I've turned off the server for now - it had been flipping out on CPU for who knows how long again. Since we're not really using it I'm going to leave it off unless somebody really wants it (or a world download)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
would like the world download :3
Sure, will try to put it up tonight when I'm home.

I'm not really opposed to leaving it running, but I'm sure something else is overflowing now - hard to really catch that on a highly inactive server.

UniCraft is (hopefully) in the final stages of waiting for mod updates (running vanilla 1.4.2 now for a test) and much more stable in general.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Here: http://forum.movingblocks.net/TeraCraft1.0.tgz :)

Zipped Linux style, might need 7-zip or something to get through it. I haven't tried to fix the world so it might also need a round of world edit if it is another pipe spill.