Last edited:

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Please remind me, what does this do?
The real short version (there are older forum threads, the main GSOC site, and I'll post a new thread with more details soon):
  • Google sponsors a set of organizations that run open source projects. 180 got in this year
  • Each organization publishes an idea list for actively enrolled students anywhere in the world to draw inspiration from (they can come up with their own ideas too)
  • Students submit proposals for what they'd like to do for a project, organizations accept a few of the best (new orgs should only do one or two)
  • Each student works over the summer and gets a stipend by Google ($5500 if they finish) - they get paid to write open source code and the org gets code and hopefully more contributors :)
Our job as an org is to mentor the students in learning how to contribute to an open source project, learn our app, learn some new tools, some new code, and so on.

manu3d

Contributor
Architecture
I now share your excitement. This is pretty awesome. I need to find the time to complete the work on the top classes of the rendering engine, to finalize it into a more welcoming state. So that it can be rewritten from scratch of course. =D

Question. Astronomical summer is still a few months away. Is google tweaking its time servers to somewhat extend it to cover most of the year? =)

manu3d

Contributor
Architecture
By the way Cervator, thank you for being so persistent with it over the years. =)

dkambersky

Contributor
@oniatus there's plenty - including me, (interested in #2070, remember me?), IRC's getting new people by the hour. And still 14 days to go.

GSoC is apparently very good at bringing new people in, lol

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I now share your excitement. This is pretty awesome. I need to find the time to complete the work on the top classes of the rendering engine, to finalize it into a more welcoming state. So that it can be rewritten from scratch of course. =D

Question. Astronomical summer is still a few months away. Is google tweaking its time servers to somewhat extend it to cover most of the year? =)
Naw but you gotta add some buffer time for paperwork! Technically code writing doesn't start till May 23rd, up until then it is application this, proposal that, community bonding, and so on :) And yessss dooo all the rendering!

Hi @oniatus and as you can see - yep! :)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

manu3d

Contributor
Architecture
@dadix, this is perhaps not the right thread where to ask such a specific question. Personally I'd be happy with raytraced shadows - global illumination seems way too far from where the rendering engine currently stands. That been said, never say never.

Palaxin

First of all, congrats from me, too! I'm very happy Terasology finally got accepted :)

I'm also strongly considering to apply and make Laurimann's PlaTec available for this game (I already talked about that a year ago when the GSOC application wasn't successful). Is the code somewhere available so I could take a look at it? I couldn't find it yet. Sadly my B.Sc. thesis has to be submitted in less than a month, so it will be hard to do anything other till then.
BTW would you like me to make another contributor's introduction for GSOC? Or just post in the existing one? I was absent for too long (sorry for that)... and a few things have changed for me...

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
@Palaxin - no need for another introduction, we now have your interest on record :D As far as GSoC goes, the main student application is done by writing a proposal, all the introductions are just to get in touch.

Platec: Platec's source code is available on SourceForge (https://sourceforge.net/projects/platec/). There are more related projects on Github, e.g., a Python Wrapper (https://github.com/Mindwerks/pyplatec) and some greater world gen project (https://github.com/Mindwerks/worldengine). Terasology's support for Platec was limited to importing a heightmap if I recall it correctly.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hey @Palaxin welcome back! Good to see you again :)

Yeah no need intro post needed, feel free to ping your existing one with an update. How have you been since last, what are you up to, any new skills or party tricks, that sort of thing :D

It would be great to see PlaTec better integrated. Something to maybe start with is look at https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology/pull/2074 which is an attempt by @msteiger to rearrange the way we create / preview worlds (it got hung up on a technicality of some sort). It would seem like that's the area we'd want to hook in PlaTec if there's any way we can show the generation running in "preview mode" similar to how Dwarf Fortress world gen works.

Understandable if you'll be busy with your thesis. We're thrilled to get any help at any time :) There is about three weeks or so till GSOC proposals are due, so there's some time to go, but even if not doing it as GSOC we could probably throw a bit of code bounty funds at it if that helps!