Terasology Code Style Conventions

mkalb

Contributor
Logistics
Cervator : The file "sun_checks.xml" exists only for reference.

Please, can someone define the maximum line length. (@Immortius, begla, Cervator)

I want to use it for the TerasologyLauncher (Checkstyle and IDEA code format).

I started to develop with IDEA because it is not possible to define the same style and formating rules with Eclipse.

I installed IntelliJIDEA 12 and changed the settings for the imports. Which other style/format rules should I change?

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Based on my earlier comments I'd say between 120-140, I have little preference to the exact number in that range :)

Anybody object?

mkalb - feel free to pick a number in that range and add the config. Other than the import style I'm not sure if there are any base IntelliJ tweaks to make. Other than maybe 4 spaces for tabs if that isn't a default already.

Speaking of, do we have a style capturing tabs instead of spaces? I've forgotten (and am at work)

synopia

Contributor
Architecture
GUI
I would suggest to remove the name hiding check from checkstyle.

Otherwise, following code is not allowed:

Code:
class Foo {
  private int xyz;
  public Foo( int xyz ) {
    this.xyz = xyz;
  }
}
Maybe there is an option, to only allow name hiding in constructors.

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
The rule doesn't apply to constructors, at least in my environment?

msteiger

Contributor
World
Architecture
Logistics
The first post mentions that Java6 is the target version. Is this still the case?

Btw: is there a condensed version (maybe a Wiki page) of all code conventions and in how they differ from the original Sun styling?
eclipse has a nice example code snippet that shows all currently applied formatting rules. This makes it easy to see all rules in one view ..

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Edited a quick Java 7 note into the first post :)

A wiki page with the convention and a quick example for each sounds like a great idea. Once more unto the todo list, dear friends, once more!

msteiger

Contributor
World
Architecture
Logistics
I can do that tonight, I just need a few things:
  • Someone who knows TS code well enough to verify / change stuff as needed
  • Someone who has write access to the wiki (which wiki anyway?)
  • Wiki format language (the forums wiki-language or github markdown ?)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Wiki: https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology/wiki so GitHub markdown :)

I think write access is pretty widely available. I just added you and Josharias to the official Contributor group on GitHub so you should be able to create a new page and edit it all in yourself. I'll be happy to do a review - that's a lot easier than the initial write-up with limited time availability. Immortius probably would be up for that too sometime

manu3d

Contributor
Architecture
I'm finding the use of
Code:
//<editor-fold desc="Section Name">
// </editor-fold>
blocks quite useful to make long(ish) heterogeneous classes more readable. I.e. attached is a screenshot of how TerasologyEngine.java looks like after a bit of reorganizing to better understand it. Is this any useful? Allowed? Frowned upon? Are there other, preferred ways to divide a file into logical sections of more tightly related parts?

Attachments

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Is that specific to IntelliJ though ? That might be the biggest issue in adding these sorts of meta-tags - unless there is a type supported across all three major IDEs, or maybe even more editors.

It is a cool thought, but not sure how viable :)

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
I know I've had this discussion before with someone, but no idea where.

Basic conclusion was no code folding - see http://blog.codinghorror.com/the-problem-with-code-folding/ for some reasons. Essentially it bloats code, and hides code smells - if you have 6 different sections of methods that handle 6 different things, perhaps you should actually have 6 classes? If you can only make sense of them within a named region, perhaps the method names need improvement?

Additionally, there's no common standard in Java for code fold structure, so we cannot maintain cross-IDE support.

IntelliJ already supports a fair bit of code folding for methods, blocks, anonymous inner classes and one line methods. I think we should stick with that.

msteiger

Contributor
World
Architecture
Logistics
Afaik, eclipse doesn't support the editor-fold tag - at least not out-of-the-box. There's support for code folding of methods, classes and comment sections, though.
I would go for more javadoc and fold it in the IDE where appropriate.