Terasology Code Style Conventions

Florian

Contributor
Architecture
Additionally:

• IntelliJ is our primary development IDE, so for things like mass organising imports it is preferred it is done in IntelliJ. By default IntelliJ uses import some.package.*; if you are importing 5 or more classes from that package, suggest Eclipse users set things up the same way.
I think that statement is outdated. Checkstyle is currently checking that there are no * imports. I agree the author of that checkstyle rule that * imports are bad, as they can lead to possible name conflicts.

dottel

Is it worth getting IntelliJ just to add modules? I like being in the same workflow as other people.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
It makes it easier for us to advise, but it is up to how confident you are in your ability to figure out stuff on your own :)

Eclipse works fine and we have a few users with that as their primary IDE. It takes a little more tweaking to get right than IntelliJ.

dottel

It makes it easier for us to advise, but it is up to how confident you are in your ability to figure out stuff on your own :)

Eclipse works fine and we have a few users with that as their primary IDE. It takes a little more tweaking to get right than IntelliJ.
I am not against spending 200 USD for the full version but I am not 100% committed yet. Any better options you would recommend?

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
I ran with the free version of intelliJ for a long time without any hindrances. The only thing I feel I "got" with the full version was json formatting, which I am sure you could do with something free.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yeah Community Edition is more than enough :)

We have a freebie license for the Ultimate Edition for contributors, so just write some code and get it merged on GitHub and we can hook you up :D

But yeah it doesn't add anything really needed. Cool for other stuff like playing with Spring.