Video: Rendering update

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
I've made some rather drastic changes to the overall rendering the last couple of hours and I would greatly appreciate a lot of feedback. :twilightblush:

Here's a small video showing most of the changes in action. Look out for the new skysphere (which is coupled with the atmospheric sky coloring) and the overall changes to lighting and coloring. I'll make another video next weekend showing the gameplay and engine related changes.

Make sure to clear your SAVED_WORLDS directory before you try the newest build.
  • Added a new textured skysphere
  • Replaced the simple Reinhard tone mapping operator with the Uncharted 2 filmic operator
  • Made tree leafs opaque for various reasons
  • Adjusted all lighting to work hand in hand with the tone mapping
  • Removed pixelated moon and replaced it with a simple bright spot
  • Changed how the fog varies from day to day
  • Made the ocean waves more complex

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Looks good to me! So many changes so suddenly :)

• Lighting looks very smooth now - I think the torch issue on "ugly" is gone, I don't see that one shader error I got there anymore
  • Darker trees look more verdant - very nice
  • Waves are cool, but probably too "active" - maybe tone them down a tad so they're both slower and less dramatic on the y axis (screenie below - also a little lower on the y axis methinks so lava doesn't float above)
  • Torches can be placed underwater again since who knows when, which looks real funny replacing water (easy fix: disable torches there again)
  • You can hover right where the screen darkens for part of the underwater effect without being underwater (screenie below)
  • Plants seem to have lost their color (maybe the trees stole it) (screenie below)
  • Fog is more powerful on the first day - this is why it seemed so overpowering to me earlier. Day two? A-okay! Rewind to day one again? Super-fog!
ColorVampireWasHere.pnglava.pngTalkAboutTides.pngUnderwaterOverwater.png

Also, northern lights came up on IRC, along with better potential for multiple celestials. Woo!

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
I like it overall. Do agree that water motion is too strong - isn't bad in the middle of the ocean, but at the shores and for small ponds or underground pools it tears away from the world. Also it means that the calculation of when the player is underwater doesn't match up with the water's surface very well I guess? Would suggest removing lateral motion entirely, since that always tears the water surface away from the shore.

I might experiment with having the water mesh reflect the water's "depth"/state with some of the liquids work, since I guess we would do that eventually anyway and it will feed into how you approach rendering water.

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
still a prob with the applet on my beast, creating a new world the applet crashes within the last 2 percent of forwarding the world. Missing jboss dependancy on dev :D will look into that

What I like most about the current build is that it runs a lot smoother on my system all of a sudden. Especially the breaking of blocks became a lot smoother, on epic quality with moderate view distance. Had a puddle of water one block large which was also waving, almost made it look like a geyser, might be food for thought :p. Other then that I think Cerv summed up the most details.

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Tried to fix some of things mentioned here but there are still a lot of small things to adjust. Going to sleep mode now. :sleep:

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Played around a little more, water looks great now and the flowers have color again :D

Sometimes I still just stand around and stare at the beautiful world :)

120625230520338.png120625230711347.png

Latest applet seems to work perfectly for me FWIW

One completely different thing I've noticed - is there something wrong with our server? Download speed seems unstable and has taken a huge hit lately. Took 5 mins to download the jar and longer to get the applet to run.

We could toss a copy up on GitHub at https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology/downloads I figure - tossed them a quick question on whether they have a step-by-step guide ideally from Jenkins, since it looks like it might take a little while sorting through The Google to figure it out :twilightblush:

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
The applet works for me now. Only thing I noticed is the console not accepting commands for me now.