World Theme and Backstory

glasz

Contributor
Art
Sounds like a bit of overkill, don't you think?
I dont see why, we'll end up using less textures than if we have one texture per expression, and we'll have a wider range of expressions. And its not any more difficult to do.

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
it does sound interesting...

approaching an npc from behind might become interesting heh

But what will happen in multiplayer? will each player see a face from his perspective, or how will that work?

Let's say, 2 pc's walk towards a mob, pc1 is stronger the npc whimpers and pc1 continues. However, PC2 is weaker and will get attacked (purely fictional example). How will you handle the mechanics, and won't that affect resource usage given a large enough combination of pc's / npc's (depending on how you handle this)? (I hope I'm wrong here btw)

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
on another note, and this is from a complete "not terasology related" view,

why does there always have to be conflict?

Why not simulate the world a bit more (from a keeper perspective ) like this :

Okay so we all became keepers, we're all evil, we play pranks on the good guys. But we do wonna show of our power. The romans showed of by building Colosseum, and organizing wild sport events. I would love to see my minions duke it out on a mount powered race within my large Colosseum. It could serve as a means to entertain my minions, while for the participants it might be beneficial. I love bloodbowl, okay it's made by something evil and moneysucking, but bloodbowl is a nice game. It would be nice to play terasology's take on that. This is in part why I inquired about a turn based gameplay mode, so you could actually (given time and effort) achieve something of the kind.

There is of course a real time option of doing things like that, but that might be a bit taxing server/ game wise.

Like I said, this is my own vision about things.It might be completely different of what terasology should actually be.

eleazzaar

Contributor
Art
Hmm, an "in Pain" expression should probably be added to the short-list of useful expressions. "in Pain" could flash on NPC and PC's face whenever they get hurt. The expression might stay when the entity 's health points were below a certain threshold.

glasz said:
Sounds like a bit of overkill, don't you think?
I dont see why, we'll end up using less textures than if we have one texture per expression, and we'll have a wider range of expressions. And its not any more difficult to do.
Except in most cases you can't simply mix: for instance angry eyebrows, happy eyes, and a frightened mouth and get an actual expression. If done well, you can usually identify the expression by the eye or mouth alone. Happy eyes, for instance are different from the eyes in any other expression-- so you can't mix it and get another real expression.
Here are some well-done expressions.

It's not horribly more difficult, but it adds an additional (if small), and unnecessary layer of abstraction. Instead of applying angry-face.png when a critter is supposed to be angry, the game would need to look some tables to see which facial parts to apply for anger. Since it it will usually be something like angry-eyes.png, angry-eyebrows.png, and angry-mouth.png, there's not much point.

overdhose said:
But what will happen in multiplayer? will each player see a face from his perspective, or how will that work?

Let's say, 2 pc's walk towards a mob, pc1 is stronger the npc whimpers and pc1 continues. However, PC2 is weaker and will get attacked (purely fictional example). How will you handle the mechanics...
Each player seeing a different face would be simplest to code, i'd guess.

But if you want to be fancier, only activate a PC-opinion-expression when a PC is relatively close. In the case of multiple PCs, the closest, and/or the one who is most in front of the PC would get the expression.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
More neatness, yay!

I too imagine simple pre-defined face overlays might be easier than a per-part system - at least for the face, maybe more exotic creatures will have features where it makes sense (different tail endings?)

As for conflict, then no, there doesn't have to be conflict and I think we should allow the player to proceed without conflict and see be able to enjoy the game. See earlier example of the "dazzler" ability for the Tao peaceful race.

At the same time, there'll be mods, and some of those will definitely favor conflict, while others may provide even more options for non-conflict. I suspect the base game / early game modes will leave the potential for both in. At some point tho with enough races / wild animals there'll be natural conflict (animals hunting for food) at the very least.

Glasz - your "skin color" thing, are you trying to include something like "blushing" as a mood affect? Different races certainly would differ in base skin color, even without blushing.

In multiplayer: Unsure. In some scenarios the mere presence of two PCs together near an NPC might cause that NPC to feel threatened. Unless they're both friendly. NPC could have a way to determine the prevailing mood considering the situation.

Edit: Almost forgot - if you really like the idea of complete non-conflict try out "A Tale In The Desert" - I think I might have hawked that before, and it is still running. Might be worth a "game mode" / mod of its own in TS. I've got it on my list to check out again, as I really enjoyed its alternative takes on just about everything. Except collecting grass and mud, anyway :D

NowNewStart

Contributor
My idea:
You must drive to another world because your old one banned you. You arrived and you found Indians. You teach the Indians and they build a City, but then your Son wanted to kill you because he wants to be king. Now your traveling trough the World to search friendly NCPs who help you to make a war against your son.

R3B3LCAUSE

Hi I am new here. I decided to sign up to comment on this thread.

I just downloaded the pre-alpha release of Terasology, and it is definitely a very good engine. But when I saw the conversation's in this thread, I became very worried that a game with a lot of potential could be flushed down the toilet. (not to trample on anyone's ideas or anything)

the immediate impression i got from this game was a sense of mystery and wonder like I had stepped into another world where the laws of reality no longer apply. A place where creativity is the ultimate master. It is whimsical and bright and intriguing. I don't think something like this should be spoiled by making it into just another (genre here) game. The best way to make thi game something unique is to not choose a genre (not that steampunk or fantasy are bad).

Terasology should be without theme and focus on creating a world that is both mysterious and within the players control. I think colorful abstract art styles would suit the game well. Lots of odd creatures that resemble nothing of this world, strange floating objects, TONS of player control (game modes, creatures, more ways to manipulate/interact with the world around them, get rid of the hard limit on tunnels), and no real focus to the game. The idea would be to separate it from reality and reason, avoiding any form of characterization.

It should be, in a way, dream-like.

Maybe I am the only one who likes the idea, its not my game to develop. But if this becomes just another failed attempt at being unique within a genre role, it will be very sad.
-R3B3LCAUSE-

R3B3LCAUSE

Oh, and of course it would need to be easily modifiable for less adept users. Through this the game could have many themes and people would be free to invent their own. Those who want a world with a story, or a steampunk theme, or whatever else could have exactly what they want. Thus everyone is pleased =)
-R3B3LCAUSE-

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi R3B3LCAUSE and thank you for the feedback :)

As much as I don't want to pick on our achievements so far I'm not sure we have enough stuff in the world yet to get any sort of true feel for it, like whimsical or mysterious. It's just a big wide open world of blocks with some trees and an occasional bouncy gelatinous cube.

Steampunk isn't meant to be an overwhelming flavor, more of a subtle undertone (actually adding mystery and intrigue!), at least until the player really builds up a lot of fanciness. The world won't be filled with smokestacks and steam-powered trains. On top of that there's the nature-worshipping race, and both those together make up the "Untrue Tao" game mode. Which is one among several, you could sandbox away with less than that and one day play with a dozen flavored races.

All the creative tools like in-game content creation we hope to provide. Biomes with floating islands too. Although, what do you mean about hard limits on tunnels? If that relates to the height limit of the game then that's going away also.

Incidentally, I would call abstract and hard to classify itself a genre :D

R3B3LCAUSE

Hi R3B3LCAUSE and thank you for the feedback :)
You are quite welcome =)

As much as I don't want to pick on our achievements so far I'm not sure we have enough stuff in the world yet to get any sort of true feel for it, like whimsical or mysterious. It's just a big wide open world of blocks with some trees and an occasional bouncy gelatinous cube.
To me the simplistic state of the game contributes the feeling of mystery, not really knowing what to expect and the feeling that there is more to it all (as in what it will become).

Steampunk isn't meant to be an overwhelming flavor, more of a subtle undertone (actually adding mystery and intrigue!), at least until the player really builds up a lot of fanciness. The world won't be filled with smokestacks and steam-powered trains. On top of that there's the nature-worshipping race, and both those together make up the "Untrue Tao" game mode. Which is one among several, you could sandbox away with less than that and one day play with a dozen flavored races.
As long as the user has some degree of control over the 'flavor' of the races then it should turn out very well.

All the creative tools like in-game content creation we hope to provide. Biomes with floating islands too. Although, what do you mean about hard limits on tunnels? If that relates to the height limit of the game then that's going away also.
Yes, I was referring specifically to the maximum depth you can dig to. And :D for the creative tools. Also this has probably already been thought of but it would need a system for sharing creations (mods).

Incidentally, I would call abstract and hard to classify itself a genre :D
Good point haha. I would say that while it is technically a genre, it is almost completely undefined, meaning it could be whatever you want it to be. I think a freely changing 'dream-like' feel would allow the game to become whatever the user wants it to be, sometimes with little or no changes to game content.

And Thank you very much for listening to the opinions of some total stranger ;)