WorldGen/Debugging

Sin3point14

GSOC/TSOC 2020
Terasology has great support for generating wide terrain features on the scale of biomes but the biomes themselves lack certain localised small features which add to that biome's uniqueness, My project aims to add support for such features to be created and try my hand at creating a few of them. The second facet of my project is to add an option to pause the world at the user's wish and fully explore it in "ghost mode" this would allow the user to debug gameplay in an easier manner by observing the world freely in a paused state. This would also open the doors for more gameplay debugging tools in Terasology

Find the Trello board briefly explaining my plans here

I'll be posting all my updates here

Sin3point14

GSOC/TSOC 2020
Minutes of meeting 1530 GMT 6 June 2020

• This was the first meeting so most stuff discussed was to finalize the pre-TSOC stuff here
  • 2 report threads will be made here weekly, one will be the minuted of meeting and other will be the work done in the week
  • I will be starting a blog to document and present my work professionally
  • More columns added the trello board to organise work better
  • The Trello board is currently housing broad ideas of the work I plan to do since all of my work is based on experimentation and refinement, I will be refining my work cards as I progress

Sin3point14

GSOC/TSOC 2020
Work for the week June 7- June 13 2020

• Read about how tillable noise are implemented link
    A note- Found another good noise generator for "blocky" noise in this- Contoli Noise
  • Read the original papers from which Terasology's Simplex and Perlin noise implementation are taken link
  • Discovered a mathematical way to make these tileable and control how noisy each tile is.
  • Dealt with some Module issues will soon update the World Gen Tutorial Repo's wiki
  • Prepared a POC showing this-

(The red regions have same shapes hence showing that the noise pattern is repeating and tiled)

Sin3point14

GSOC/TSOC 2020
Minutes of meeting 1530 GMT 13 June 2020

• Informed of all the progress and finding posted above
  • Answered several queries regarding the specifics of work and why am I doing what I am doing(Answer)
  • My next work- Control grid sizes in simplex noise generator and put up a PR
  • Was given a couple of ideas by @Cervator regarding the use of tiles in proc gen, leaving it here so I don't lose it

Sin3point14

GSOC/TSOC 2020
Work for the week June 14- June 20 2020

• Implemented my radial noise generator PoC using the tileable perlin noise-

• Tried to create a 2D tileable simplex noise but it is mathematically not possible for square-shaped tiling without artefacts. Managed a 1D implementation for any amount of grid dimensions(more grids = more wavy mountains as shown above).

• PR coming soon containing the changes I did to the noise generators along with docs on how to use the tileable ones. The custom noise generator will be PR'ed ones I start making Volcanoes as currently it is in a dummy module with no real purpose

Sin3point14

GSOC/TSOC 2020
Minutes of meeting 1530 GMT 20 June 2020

• Showed the progress report of the above post
  • Suggested to work on a new module for Volcanoes
  • Suggested to look at Lakes/StaticCities modules to get inspiration for Volcano placement
  • Radial Noise Generator will be added to CoreWorlds