Implementation Josharias Survival

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi @hansonry and thanks! :)

Curiously are you using the latest Terasology release or the latest dev build? There are some fixes in the latest dev for JS.

@Josharias can probably answer more closely if anything relevant has been fixed and/or how to do the coal thing.

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
I did recently do a bunch of bug fixes around the fireplace not heating the hearth. Let me know if using the latest dev release still does not fix this behavior.

Coal chunks and charcoal chunks do still have issues, there was a major update to the engine asset systems that these did not really recover from. Charcoal and coal chunks are intended to be burnable in the fireplace. Fixing this is on my todo list. Until then, planks should still be burnable.

Thanks for your interest and plugging through some of the existing quirks, Hansonry. Any other suggestions and comments are also welcome. :)

hansonry

I started a new survival game using the dev branch. I got stuck. I was trying to make a rod for my mallet. I needed planks for the rod. I needed a saw for the planks. I needed a mallet. for the saw. So there is no way for me to get rods. Chicken an Egg issue.

I tried the fireplace once. It seemed to work, but I didn't test it thoroughly

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
Dang, you are right. I broke that recently. Getting that early game part figured out has proved to be a headache as I really just want to focus on metal tools and onwards.

I have committed a fix for this, the latest dev build for ManualLabor will now allow tree trunks to be sawed into planks with a crude saw.

hansonry

Well, I made my rod, but I cant make a mallet. It says I can, but I cant make one with smelted copper and a wooden rod. Dose the ore need to be sifted first?

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Smelted copper? Sifter? You're way ahead of me. I call dev hax.

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
Just running through this now on my local. Have you satisfied the skill requirement, Crafting 2? (really need to do more for this visually, chessandgo had some good ideas, just need to fiddle some more about it)

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
There. That at least does not suck as badly. (chessandgo, I am not calling this a final story by any means). Here is the new recipe for the mallet that should help improve general understanding:

betterskills.PNG

Oh, and these are the modules effected with this change: EventualSkills, ManualLaborEventualSkills

hansonry

@Josharias Ahh yup that was it. I just needed to be level 2.
@Cervator No dev hacks. I just dug down till I found some copper. The sifter was easy to get to in the stable release I expect it works the same way in the dev branch. (Didn't check)

That being said, I am finding it difficult to find ores compared to Minecraft. I don't know if this is by design or not.

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
Hum, I thought I basically had the same average amount of ores compared to MC. Maybe I used bad data, or maybe the algorithm is not doing what I expected. Did I ever put in a world config setting for that? ... Nope, but that would be a great idea!

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hehe, I was just joking on the dev hacks. You've just made more progress than me from trying at it more :)

Alternatively @Josharias hadn't yet used enough dev hacks by the last time I tried, I got stuck on the rods IIRC :D

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
Regarding ore generation: It got nerfed hard by accident in some refactoring. It is now fixed.

Before:
Terasology-151010164522-1152x720.jpg

After:
Terasology-151010164419-1152x720.jpg

hansonry

Wow, Nice work Josharias. I fell asleep today from 3pm to 7pm today (I am getting over a cold) so I need something to do. Can I pull down your ore fix via Jenkins again?

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Wow, Nice work Josharias. I fell asleep today from 3pm to 7pm today (I am getting over a cold) so I need something to do. Can I pull down your ore fix via Jenkins again?
Not yet, looks like he put the fix in a branch we don't build in Jenkins. But it'll probably get merged real soon, if nothing else I'll pester him tomorrow before trying to do a formal game release :D

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
Sorry about that, got pulled to something else and didnt realize the branch. it is building now.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

hansonry

@Josharias Ore distribution looks good! I can't seem to open up my skills menu with k any more.

I don't know if you have plans for this, but it feels like the stone hammer should do more damage to the ore blocks.
I am currently digging with a torch in hand most of the time. I don't know if I will continue to do this with the higher quantity or ores.

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
I also had some issues with the skills dialog. Hopefully the keybind shows up in the settings now. Try a different key for it?

Crude hammers were intended to take the edge off of the early game, not very strong and not durable. There should be enough ores now to get to metal tools fairly quickly. I am trying to avoid a hard gate when it comes to mining (hard gate == preventing damage to a block from not having the right tool), but instead a practical gate (where the time savings by upgrading tools make it desirable).

That being said, I haven't looked at the damage balance in a while for tools, I will review this sometime soon.

hansonry

No worries, you are making really good progress so far. My guess is balancing is something you do toward the end anyway.