My 3D models, and video tutorials for the project.

TechnoPrometheus

As promised, I started working on some graphic content for Terasology. Public Following the early work carried out during the festive season.

In my github account, I opened a new repository, Warehouse of Terasology, I use this space to post graphic material, documentation, and all I realized for the project. Mods, scripts, and other things, you will always find in my github account. As time passed, it grows the project, and also my experience.

Video tutorial "MagicaVoxel - Optimizing and exporting of 3D voxel models":

Warning! in the video, towards the end, they select them both models (original and copy), you have to press "shift", first select the copy, and then the original model, then go on "Bake" button, which will activate, press, and the texture will be rendered!

Look at the geometry of the model, before and after! no additional sides, and nothing normal inverted problems. I recommend the modifier "Remesh", in the video I see the effect! adjusting course changes according to your 3D model, then look more and all parts of the model before continuing.

JellyCubes (prototypes)

Note:

All material made in a hurry and with little time. Settle everything, especially the 3d models that I made, and once optimized, I would send them to replace the ones built into Terasology (cat, Pony, Monkey, and more). After completing the first 3d models, I can continue with the documentation and improve the graphs that I made.

Textures Pack, including the new graphic inventory, and hotbar, are almost ready.

The JellyCubes, are very simple. If you like, I can help others and make them more detailed. For the forum can be nice. :)

Thank you all. I hope you enjoy the video.

Last edited:

TechnoPrometheus

Some ideas, I've already done the rigging to some models and I had no problems (they are very simple as I will).

My idea, is to realize simple characters, but more complex MC! It can do, but there remains the problem of custom skins, again if someone develops an editor in "cube world" style, then it would be the maximum, but it is complicated as a solution. it is a difficult choice, because the players are much more beautiful and diverse with this style. Or an editor to draw the skin, of course, the pattern remains the same for all, it only changes the texture.

The animations are easy, no problem, the 3D models are very light.

You who suggested? I designed dozens of prototypes, ideas and written in 1000, but do not know the limits and possibilities of Terasology. The MD5 format is very good (better than obj and dae), however MD5 is a data description format, so no external and changeable textures.

I look Manu3D, and other project experts, I need information to do testing in the game.

Thank you all.

TechnoPrometheus

With Blender you can do this.

Excellent solution, I can lighten the mesh, making it the perfect in-game. I experience it all! Blender is the top! It is the only 3D modeling software, which allows you to do everything, and very well.

Drawing the Josharias ponies, and the cat. These are only experiments.

Which one of you, in the community he deals with 3D graphics? I'd be happy to talk to a longtime collaborator, so I can understand the secrets of Engine, and what is best to do.

Thank you all.

smsunarto

Federal Gooey of Investigation
Art
Logistics
Those voxel styled design seems pretty cool! Not sure those tiny blocks for the model can fit the overall design concept of Terasology. But totally worth a shot!

TechnoPrometheus

Those voxel styled design seems pretty cool! Not sure those tiny blocks for the model can fit the overall design concept of Terasology. But totally worth a shot!
Thanks so much. Exact! this is just a concept! of course, the final 3d models will be different, and optimized for the game. They are looking for an easy style, but also cool. I managed to implement some things that I have achieved within the game, new blocks, new graphics and content (inventory and hotbar).

The example of Suzanne, I realized why I have a very cool script, which lightens the voxel mesh! works well, I have yet to test, and again.

Thanks for the reply.

manu3d

Contributor
Architecture
@TechnoPrometheus : the models you are realizing are very nice even though you are using a non-realtime renderer and as such they look much better than how they would look like in-game.

The block size you are using would be ok for imported meshes I imagine, but at this stage you wouldn't be able to build in-game objects with blocks that size. In-game editors or custom external editors would be nice but they are a considerable effort. For this reason we still rely on external tools (i.e. blender) and editing text files.

Regarding how to test in the game, have you look at our wiki and in particular the "art" section?

TechnoPrometheus

@TechnoPrometheus : the models you are realizing are very nice even though you are using a non-realtime renderer and as such they look much better than how they would look like in-game.

The block size you are using would be ok for imported meshes I imagine, but at this stage you wouldn't be able to build in-game objects with blocks that size. In-game editors or custom external editors would be nice but they are a considerable effort. For this reason we still rely on external tools (i.e. blender) and editing text files.

Regarding how to test in the game, have you look at our wiki and in particular the "art" section?

Ti aspettavo con ansia :D finalmente sei qui, maestro!

I read the whole wiki, and I realized that a game block, corresponds to a default cube of great Blender half (scaled to 1000, the default is 2000).

Models are examples, I began to create new, very similar to cube world, but more simple and easily adaptable. The arms and legs are rotated, thus realize the animations will be much easier and manageable.

I can create very low poly voxel models, so no problem. Tomorrow I try to implement the models in the game, just to see the in-game effect.

Thanks for everything. The wiki is very precious, and I hope to be able to send useful material to update it and make it even better. I will do my best.

Thanks @manu3d :D

TechnoPrometheus

Ci conosciamo?
Non direttamente, ma abbiamo già parlato noi due in passato :) felice di sentirti. Come Spaghetti Developer ti ho scritto in privato, ora vedo se hai risposto li, ma uso questo account per il progetto, quindi ufficialmente sono TechnoPrometheus. Grazie.

Excuse me, what you see above is my language (Italian), manu3d has my origins ^__^

TechnoPrometheus

Voxel 3D models NPC Definitive!

I finished now the first definitive concept of NPC. As you can see, my idea is to implement NPC stylish appearance The Legend Of Zelda, and JRPG of the past.

• The templates are very easy to animate, arms, and legs, are separated from the body (I was inspired by experimental models of the cat, and the pony in obj, within Terasology).
  • I can realize these patterns with almost endless combinations, because they are made in pieces (head, body, hands, feet, items, weapons, shields, and other items). They are very lightweight, voxels within Blender are converted to surfaces (no mesh filled with a few sides and vertices).
  • For the player, I thought it is better to keep the classic style of Minecraft, to maintain compatibility with the textures, or create an editor of skin, using as a model the My Player, all very simple, but also much nicer to Minecraft not you think so?

TechnoPrometheus

Terasology engine, is not yet optimized, I know! but in the future these models can be handled safely. In this moment there is no form to the NPC management and Mobs, but realize models that serve in the future is always useful, do not you think?

I was inspired by Stoneheart, but these 3D models are completely different, I just got the idea of the arms and legs separated from the body (for ease of rigging), and the structure of the heads have changed, so they are completely different across .

I hope you like the idea, now with this technique can create items, and objects of any type.

Thank you all!

HeadClot

Hey I know I am necro posting but hear me out.

Magica voxel has the ability to export objects made in it to an .obj. As long as these end up as a low poly object in the end it wont matter. The method described by technoprometheus works great. That said as soon as you get used to making objects in magica voxel it is really fast to work with.

I am currently building some stuff out right now in Magica Voxel. Thanks for the tutorial technoprometheus. :)

Florian

Contributor
Architecture
@TechnoPrometheus: That models would make nice character models.

I am currently looking for some models that are simple but different then minecraft to bring them into terasology.

I think it's really great that you have multiple head models already. So maybe we could allow the player to choose a head.

@TechnoPrometheus Are you in IRC / Slack? Have you started creating a module for terasology with this models already?

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Let's hope we can revive this thread as the models look really great and would indeed be a good starting point for our character models (and NPCs).

Customization of model parts like the head or limbs also sounds promising to allow for simple customization. In case @TechnoPrometheus cannot provide the old models/create new ones, do we have someone who can work out new versions in a similar style. @HeadClot what is your progress on that matter?

HeadClot

Let's hope we can revive this thread as the models look really great and would indeed be a good starting point for our character models (and NPCs).

Customization of model parts like the head or limbs also sounds promising to allow for simple customization. In case @TechnoPrometheus cannot provide the old models/create new ones, do we have someone who can work out new versions in a similar style. @HeadClot what is your progress on that matter?
Hello @Skaldarnar - Just thought I would chime in on this. So currently I am working on a workflow that will save more time in the long run. I will hopefully Have more info in the next few days on this. I just need to test it and make sure that it is bullet proof so to speak in terms of workflow.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Cool, that sound promising :) Don't be too shy to talk about what you are doing. A little feedback early on can be really valuable, too.

I'm lookin forward to that workflow improvements you are talking about!

XenonCoder

Hey I know I am necro posting but hear me out.

Magica voxel has the ability to export objects made in it to an .obj. As long as these end up as a low poly object in the end it wont matter. The method described by technoprometheus works great. That said as soon as you get used to making objects in magica voxel it is really fast to work with.

I am currently building some stuff out right now in MagicaVoxel. Thanks for the tutorial technoprometheus. :)
Thank you. Unfortunately I had problems that pushed me away from the project. But I have prepared a github repository with all the material I have made during this period. I'm working on the wiki to create useful documentation for modeling, exporting and optimizing voxel models in .obj format and converting materials into textures. Just these days I'm recovering with the work and at the moment I have dozens of models of npc, mobs, weapons, objects and other ideas that I have developed in the past.

The official github repository is: https://github.com/XenonCoder/Terasology_Warehouse_Resources

In the README.md file of the github project you will find the first information, and the objectives achieved and those being developed. Find a lot of useful and improved material. I have also created separate parts of the models (bodies, hands, legs, heads, shoulder pads), in this way it is sufficient to join the parts to create new models through simple pre-built templates.

I invite you to visit my repository, and I consider it useful to insert it in the official projects as soon as I publish the complete wiki I'm going to insert the instructions to collaborate on the project, all the workflow and how to organize the graphic resources to keep them always tidy and up-to-date.

@Skaldarnar I'm glad you like the style of these models, as you can see the arms and the dolls have no joints, this makes them special and very easy to animate without glitches and problems with the bones in the animation phase.

@Florian
The answer is yes, I started to create a simple module that imports the static models in the map, to test the correct optimization of the models and the effect of Terasology rendering engine which is really fantastic. In this post (above) you can find the link to my github repository where I'm inserting all the material I made during this period, it will be updated day by day, because now I'm checking the correct compatibility of the models with the latest version of MagicaVoxel, then I make a folder for 3d models converted with blender, in addition to other things.

The github repository is very convenient because it allows anyone to send requests and suggestions (issues), or send their own work (pull request). I will also insert a small guide to use github and submit your changes.

For anything, contact me on the github repository (find also my public email address). My priority is to stop uploading my templates, and all the documentation as promised to @Cervator long ago, but then for my own reasons I had to stop my work.

An advice! this thread has become quite messy, initially it was very experimental, now I have all the models and ideas concretized and ready to be tested, so I suggest to create a new cleaner thread to prevent new users and collaborators from confusing. it's just my idea, of course, but I'd like to do things well and order, now that I finally have the github repository it will be much easier to contribute when I have the chance and feel free to make changes, discard models and ideas you do not like and more. Feedback is the soul of the project.

Sorry again, but even if late, I wanted to keep my commitment to the end. Thank you all.

XenonCoder

Screenshots of NPC characters, merged body parts, and armor and applicable objects:

XenonCoder

Screenshots Boss Concept (Forest Biome, Ice Biome, Sand Biome, Volcano Biome):

These prototypes of bosses, I imagined them as a kind of temples of the various biomes, realized through the use of schemes (such as villages, then preconstructed structures), where inside they meet mobs related to that particular biome, treasures, traps and typical objects of that biome. My intention is to realize these boss temples as soon as terasology will have a playable release in creative with enough decorative blocks and all the biomes (forest, snow and ice, desert, volcano biome / big caves)

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Thanks a lot for repository @XenonCoder, I really hope to see those models in game rather sooner than later! Feel free to create a new thread showcasing your models and linking to the repo if you feel this would help finding them. Otherwise, I'm fine with further using this thread ;)

I've noticed that you've published the assets under GPL - which is fine when they are distributed as separate module. Maybe @Cervator knows more on licensing details in case we want to bundle one or more of the models with our game release…

Keep up the good work! Pinging @Florian for some more technical feedback ;)