WIP Awesome New Blocks/Block shapes Production Thread!

Adeon

terasology.ru
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
Logistics
Block family comlete. I add a lader as a compensation for the "long development" =)

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
really love the ladder, didn't realize there were penalties for "long development" :unsure:

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Love it, saw it by chance on Youtube before finding this thread and was quite impressed to not only see the expected stuff but also the bonus with rails and climbable ladders!

metouto

Contributor
Art
Very impressive work :omg: but I have a question Anton ......

Track.jpg

In the picture above if a train is coming from left to right will it be able to cross the tracks :cautious: It looks like the answer would be yes because of the little black parts connecting to brown rails but just had to ask to be sure :coffee:

Adeon

terasology.ru
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
Logistics
Awesome stuff Anton! :)
Wow, fantastic. Looks great!
Love it, saw it by chance on Youtube before finding this thread and was quite impressed to not only see the expected stuff but also the bonus with rails and climbable ladders!
Very impressive work :omg:
Thanks =)

I have a question Anton ......
In the picture above if a train is coming from left to right will it be able to cross the tracks :cautious: It looks like the answer would be yes because of the little black parts connecting to brown rails but just had to ask to be sure :coffee:
Yes, you're right. But this is just a texture which I've created for the demonstrate new block family. You can draw yourself the "more thought-out texture" =))

P.S. A'nW Thanks for the shape! =)

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Just merged in the pending pull requests - I included the separate horizontal offset plane first then the one Adeon had in his commit on top just so both PRs are officially in :D

A'nW - did the actual ivy vine go missing somewhere? Was looking for it in-game and in source and couldn't find it :)

We need the darker straight rail track adjusted a bit so they look the same, weird to have dark one direction and bright in another :ajconfused:

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
I wonder if the normals on the horizontal plane block shape are correct. If they are not vertical that would explain the lighting variations. The normals should be up vectors.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
I described this already in issue #449, the different lighting variations do also appear on other blocks (shapes), like the halfblocks.
130214101611296.jpg

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
This should be fixed in develop now - was caused by the ambient occlusion code in the chunk generator and floating point errors from rotation. The fact those half-blocks are being rotated at all is another bug though - those shapes should be marked as having symmetric collision, which would mean that only one block would be generated and used rather than 4.

A'nW

Contributor
Art
Hey guys...

Cervator Hehe, no actually. I just never committed the actual vine block. I'm not sure why though... I'll get that ready to go this weekend.

Immortius Hmmm, you are right. The horizontalOffsetPlane did have a couple of normals that were not pointing strait up. That is peculiar. I know that I had checked that... Oh well, it is fixed and will be committed soon.

Also, about the "Is rotation symetrical", I didn't realize that could be such a optimizing setting. I'll adjust the appropriate block shapes.
On a very similar note though... the "cube" shape that is used for rendering the default cubescape :), etc, doesn't have symmetric collisions on...

Speaking of the default cube shape...

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :eek: Wha...?! What it is it?
SphereLand.jpg

It's so... so roundy... and... and... the fps is so low.
FPS.jpg

Ok, anyway, couldn't help but do that. :D

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
On a very similar note though... the "cube" shape that is used for rendering the default cubescape :), etc, doesn't have symmetric collisions on...
That is true, and is laziness on my part - if a shape doesn't define any collision it uses the default cube collision and is marked as having symmetric collision.

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
Oh, and thank you Adeon for working through the creation of the new BlockFamily for fences. :)

A'nW

Contributor
Art
Ok, fixed up a few block shapes and committed them.

Cervator I forgot about the vines again I just realized. Argh. Anyway, I'll get it.

Immortius Ah, thank you for that little explanation! :)

Adeon Yes, thanks for working on that! (And making my fence block look so good. :D )

On another note, I have posted the first video tutorial on making block shapes. It is super basic, but hey, it's a start. Hopefully I can do some more interesting ones eventually. I'm posting it here just to see what people think. Most of you guys are probably not going to get much out of it. I'm pretty new to youtube, so if you have suggestions on tags, description additions, etc, feel free to comment.

metouto

Contributor
Art
A'nw I am only sorry I can't give you 6 "Winner" ratings for that video ;) I for one can not wait for you next video :omg:

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
we sure can use more of those

metouto

Contributor
Art
A'nW is there a way to download this so it can be used off line :coffee: