Done:
  • Dirt,
  • Grass/GrassSide
  • Stone
  • Sand
Upcoming:
  • Snow/SnowSide
  • tree textures (bark + wood + leaves)
The past few weeks I have working on an alternative texture pack for Terasology.
I want to teach myself to create textures and creating a "texture pack" for a voxel game like Terasology seemed like a good place to start. The individual textures took me between 1 hour (dirt) and 3 hours (grass) to make, so it might be doable to eventually have a new texture for every block in the core module.

I'm trying to do the most prevalent block types first, as these will have the biggest impact to the visuals of the game.

I don't know how to properly release a texture pack for Terasology, so here are the first 5 tiles for those of you who want to try it out:

Dirt.png Grass.png GrassSide.png Rock.png Sand.png

Textures are 128x128 pixels. The originals are 1024x1024 and it is no problem to provide the textures in any other size up to the original size.

Edit: You can help me out by letting me know
  • whether or not the details of the textures are too subtle/too pronounced
  • if you think the base colors should be different (which could also be for gameplay reasons)
  • posting a screenshot, because I didn't have the time to do it yet :D

Last edited:

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Nice work! The subtle cube imprints in the grass is a very clever and stylish look :)

Getting the blocks in-game and in a module so they can serve as a texture pack immediately is easy! Just to see them in-game for screenshots you can
  • gradlew createModuleHiResBaseTextures (or another name)
  • Put the textures into modules/HiResBaseTextures/assets/blockTiles/auto like "newGrass.png" - see example
  • gradlew idea (or eclipse, to get the new module recognized) - restart IDE if needed
  • Run game, enable the module, get the blocks by png filename via console "giveBlock newGrass"
  • To serve as texture pack instead, put at /modules/HiResBaseTextures/overrides/core/blockTiles - see example
  • Create a world with the module active, existing world blocks should automatically use the new block textures
The look in-world with a large amount of tiles is hugely helpful in getting a good idea of any tweaks needed, typically on repetitiveness across a series of blocks. @metouto is doing that over here: http://forum.terasology.org/threads/block-tile-additions.1223/

Yeah, somebody needs to do screenshots, I haven't got the time tonight either :D

I suspect the very base world textures might need to be very basic to avoid being too pronounced as they're all over the world, but it is hard to say without seeing everything in-world :) But a separate hi-res pack should probably be available right out of the box too

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
I tried this out. It was as easy as making a new module, and plunking these files in the folder <moduleRoot>/overrides/Core/blockTiles. Although I renamed rock.png to stone.png.

I usually have minimal graphics settings selected as my computer is not very smoking fast.
Terasology-150212230844-1280x720.png Terasology-150212230906-1280x720.png Terasology-150212230923-1280x720.png

Also, it appears that the grass tinting thing is mucking with the grass.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Interesting approach with this embossed/stamped effect on the grass texture. :)

The grass overlay can be adapted by overwriting textures/effects.png. Have a look at LaSR for the directory structure ;)

Linus

Contributor
Also, it appears that the grass tinting thing is mucking with the grass.
I also noticed this. For some strange reason, only the top of the grass blocks get distorted, even though the hue of the side of the blocks is also changed by the engine.

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
Hah. I had never tried this. Making a texture pack style module is truly this easy if you are just mucking about. I started just with a normal folder, but it also works with zips like the attached. Nice work @Immortius for making that story super easy.

Attachments