WIP Animals

glasz

Contributor
Art
I think a good first step for the production of assets would be to populate the world with animals.

Here we can :

-create a wish list of animals
-propose drawings/models of animals.

We could break the list into :
  • Reptiles : snakes, lizards, frogs
  • Mammal : cat, dog, sheep, cow, elephant, panda
  • Birds : eagle, owl, dove
  • Fish : trout, dolphin (i know dolphins are mammal, but let's keep it simple)
  • Magical/ Chimeras : licorn, gargoyle (probably not a priority as long as game theme is not defined)

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Small and easy is good. Might be a thought to work out which of these, if any, might be "ambient" with the player not really able to interact with them? Would they even need models? Like a few tiny birds fluttering between two trees, that's probably more of an effect than a model.

Sheep, cows, elephants, pandas, etc are good examples to start with I'd say :)

HeadClot

Here are my 2 Cents for the list -

Please note that i am thinking from an

Fish/aquatic - Otters, Crab, Shark, Orca, Giant Squid
Mammals - Monkeys, Rabbit, Boar, Bear, Bat (Fruit/Vampire)

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
Here's murtle ... a sort of land-roving turtle critter. I was playing around with SketchUp to see if it was possible to do some simple / concept character modeling in 3D. It's definitely better as an architecture tool, but it sure is a lot easier to figure out than Blender. The free version does export COLLADA (.dae) files that can be interpreted by Blender (and probably other 3D programs) and refined / animated.

Has anyone played with SketchUp? Any tips?

How "blocky" do we want our critters and humanoids to be? I figured small critters like turtles, snakes, etc, would probably be pretty simple things.

murtle.png

glasz

Contributor
Art
Hi murtle :D

I've toyed with sketchup a little, it seems simple and intuitive, probably a good choice for that kind of cubesque modeling, with blender as an importer/exporter. Idon't know it enough to give tips though. Does it handle animations?

I figured something very blocky, here's a quick drawing :

But we dont have technical limitations, considering we're very low poly allready, so no reasons not to add a little extra detail if it makes the model cooler.

metouto

Contributor
Art
I have played around with SketchUp a little in the past but I don't know enough to give help :cry: but from what I remember I do not think it does animations ..... but could be wrong here o_O

BTW ... nice elephant galsz :cool:

HeadClot

glasz if you could do some more sketches that would be great!

Currently working out that elephant of yours in blender3D.

I love your art style too!

UPDATE!

Got the Young Version of the elephant Modeled!

Working on the Texture right now!

BTW - How do we want the textures to be in terasology?

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Textures - unsure, we still need more examples to really be able to point to a few models, going "mimic this" - there are a few pieces of concept art and discussion here in the Art forum tho :)

glasz

Contributor
Art
HeadClot great work, thanks a lot for doing this! Really cool.
I'm short of time for modeling but sketches i can provide, and will do more.

For textures i was thinking something flat shading / vector graphics as an alternative to the 8 bit pixel art of minecraft. I'm with woodspeople thinking the creatures textures dont need to have the same style than the landscape, i will try to do some tests.

HeadClot

glasz hey thanks for doing more sketches :)
Cannot wait to see what you come up with!

By the way - What do you mean by Flat shading?

I cannot find any reference to it on Wikipedia for some reason :/

glasz

Contributor
Art
HeadClot i'm not sure if thats the right word, since the shading is up to the coders, but basically something similar to the turtle minion , that is no shadows on the texture, just flat colors.

Wolfghard

Contributor
Art
HeadClot thx :)

glasz what do you think about my model?And have for example the elephant or my deer a chance to be implemented?
Wish you the best!

RampageMode

Contributor
Art

i modeled a bit around w/ blender, but i suck at texturing
so the model is more a concept than a finished product.
things which a "leaddesigner" should decide:
- legs like model or a spaced "Rayman-style" with no direct connection between body and leg
- amount of details
- sharpness of the corners
- realistic or Minecraftstyle

i appreciate comments and shit :D

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Thanks Wolfghard and RampageMode - and welcome! :)

More concepts help. The deer shows the interesting potential with higher res textures - but those may clash with the feel of a more primitive world. The cow on the other hand keeps some of the blocky with a more mid-level texture, and may fit in better.

Down the road we'll likely come up with some sort of higher res support (if it doesn't melt every computer it runs on) then matching creatures would probably fit better :)

For starters I think we need to aim for low to mid res / level of detail. Other examples around here - and we need to get some models working in the game to get a better look yet!

glasz

Contributor
Art
a donkey sketch in a less cuboid style :

i only made the side view, thinking the front view as simple parallele lines.

RampageMode : i think we're heading toward disconnected legs, aso for animation reasons.

I'll comment more on recent submissions when i'll have more time, cool to see more people joining the team :)

glasz

Contributor
Art
RampageMode answers to your other questions :

Deinitely not realistc, rather minecrat like, but if we can come with a style of our own, all the better. Amount of details : we dont have polycount issues, so as detailed as you like, but keeping things to the very essential will be easier and more satisfying i think. I love your cow by the way :D

Wolfghard : nice deer dear :) maybe the horns should come from the sides of the head rather than from the top, and i think it needs a better texture, but we need to make tests and stuff on the texture side of things also, so i cant give you specific directions other than the suggestion i gave headclot, feel free to test and experiment. If that specific deer dont make it in the game, the next one will, or the one after that, in other words : welcome to the team :)