WIP Awesome New Blocks/Block shapes Production Thread!

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
there's always a way metouto, if you are on windows check a program like atubecatcher or anything of the kind, that allows you to save streaming/embedded videos.

metouto

Contributor
Art
Thanks overdhose .... I will "slap" my computer into shape when I get home from work and look into that program :coffee:

EDITED .... worked like a charm thanks overdhose :coffee:

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Almost missed this as I ended up bringing up the thread's page 4 rather than 3 - nice video A'nW ! Excellent presentation, tempo, and topic focus. Off to FB with the link! Looking forward to part 2 :)

Josh - hunt us some videos for the Youtube channel / tutorial thing already :D

Josh

Contributor
Hunter
Almost missed this as I ended up bringing up the thread's page 4 rather than 3 - nice video A'nW ! Excellent presentation, tempo, and topic focus. Off to FB with the link! Looking forward to part 2 :)

Josh - hunt us some videos for the Youtube channel / tutorial thing already :D
I would if my internet wasn't off. :p

A'nW

Contributor
Art
Hey, everyone, thanks for the response! Nice to know that I'm on the right track. Part 2 will definitely be coming soon. Likely this week end. :)

A'nW

Contributor
Art
Hey everyone, guess what? Second video in the block shape creation series!
Anyway, after a longer than ideal wait, I have finally made the second video covering the very basics in making and using a Terasology block shape. It isn't perfect by any means, but I hope it helps some people.

I like hearing feedback, so if you have something to say about it, by all means, let me know! :)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Watched it, good stuff :)

Comments:
  • Video is informative, but your pacing is probably still a bit off. I know how hard it can be to get a good take after trying to record a good Leap video though :p I was trying to use a script so I did everything in the right order, and took a few different takes to then only polish the best one where I had crammed the most useful stuff into the least amount of time
  • Was there a secret to splitting the bottom face from the center faces? I just saw the naming them bit, but was unsure if that was all the magic or if you had to do something else. May have missed it - Youtube was oddly laggy for me
  • Maybe a very brief note somewhere to check "Is Collision Symmetric" for symmetric blocks, would like to think a pyramid would qualify - also, me want for GitHub :D
  • Would suggest starting a world in a video from a known seed to avoid surprises / picking your exact starting position (I was able to just reload my Leap world over and over, got used to it)
  • Voice is good, but don't be scared to go back over the video with merciless editing or to add text annotations where you think they could help clarify (the key presses being displayed is super helpful as always though!)
Also: "Face Select Mode" sounds awesome :pinkiehappy:

Off to the social outlets with this one! Many thanks and looking forward to more!

metouto

Contributor
Art
Just dropped by to see how you all have been doing and I found A'nW's new video :omg: ..... I have not tried it out as of yet but was able to download it for viewing another time .... I do indeed love his work :)

@A'nW you said that you were going to do other videos ... would it be too :notworthy: bold :notworthy: of me to ask for you to give a list or at least an idea of what your next few videos would be about :coffee:

and again A'nW ..... (from a guy that knows none of this stuff :cry:) ..... you are doing a great job so please continue when you have the time :coffee:

A'nW

Contributor
Art
metouto

Hey metouto, sorry for the massive delay in response. I didn't see your post until last week sometime, and I've been massively busy for a couple weeks now...
Anyway, really glad you like the tutorials, I personally wish I could do better on them, but I'm glad that even a few people are benefiting from them. I think I have some free time coming up so another tutorial should be on the horizon.
About what the next few might be about. I can't really predict that far into the future, but I can give some general ideas for at least the next one or two. The next video I plan on doing will be a sort of "advanced block shapes" tutorial covering thing like UV unwrapping and texturing and the features of the exporter. That might end up being to much for one video though, so I might split some of the content off into a "tips and tricks" sort of video. Hope that gives you sort of an idea. Also, if you have stuff that you think would make a good tutorial, let me know. I can't make any promises, but who knows, I might do a video for it. :)

Cervator
Thanks for the reply. Can't believe I didn't respond. For some reason I thought I had...
About your critiques, I absolutely agree. This one wasn't as rehearsed and practised nearly as much as the first and it shows (I did show how to split the bottom face from the others though, you must have just missed it). Thanks for the feedback.

Also, I have no clue whether anyone has noticed, but I actually updated the github wiki page on block shapes several weeks ago. Quite heavily I might add. :D I hung around on IRC for a while a couple of times to tell everyone, but there wasn't much activity. Just thought I'd let you know (though github probably sent a message about it or something...)

metouto

Contributor
Art
@A'W

......The next video I plan on doing will be a sort of "advanced block shapes" tutorial covering thing like UV unwrapping and texturing and the features of the exporter. That might end up being to much for one video though, so I might split some of the content off into a "tips and tricks" sort of video..... :love:

I will leave the video section up to you .... you are a little more in-touch with what is going on than I am at this point :notworthy:

@Cervator

......Also, I have no clue whether anyone has noticed....

I did see it and nice job :thumbsup:

:coffee:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
New block shape request! Cables and such for the block network Marcin Sciesinski is working on :)

One FB user guessed one of my nefarious future plans - crafting cable blocks in the crafting cube to become smaller and smaller to where a single block can contain a complicated circuit. In that case we might be looking more at mini-blocks more than a shape, but in the meantime we could perhaps just use a fence-like set of shapes that'll automatically connect in the 6 different directions. Shape could be as simple as a 1/27 sized cube in different configurations in a 3x3x3 space.

A'nW

Contributor
Art
Yeah, I can do that. I'll work on it over the next few days. That is a cool mod!

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yeah, I can do that. I'll work on it over the next few days. That is a cool mod!
Cool :)

I have a vague recollection the cable shapes already came up on IRC. Janred is going nuts on shapes and models these days, wonder if he might be working on them already. I usually keep better track but missed this one.

Janred

Contributor
Art
I made a prototype and had a chat with Marcin about what he wants them to look like, have not started the 10 shapes he needs, but i saved them. Iam using the great weather at the moment for some outdoor activities.
If you have the time you can do them, ill post the shapes.
- 1 shape with no connections (just cube in the middle[flying])
- 1 shape with 1 connection (cube in the middle extending towards one side)
- 2 shapes with 2 connections - a line from one side to the other and a corner on
- 2 shapes with 3 connections - a T-shape and a 3d corner
- 2 shapes with 4 connections - a cross, and T-shape with one ortogonal connection
- 1 shape with 6 connections (all sides)
- 1 shape with 5 connections
Like the "Buildcraft" pipes, you can looks them up to have an even better idea of what he wants :)

A'nW

Contributor
Art
Hey guys, if Janred hasn't made 'em yet, then here they are Cervator (two weeks later...)
I'm posting a picture here so you can check them out and see how the texture looks and such. Just say what you think.
Cables.png

I was going for the "copper cable" type look with that texture. It is plenty easy enough to change though. The one thing I was wondering is if the shapes are going to need some sort of feedback on whether they are powered or not? Like maybe two textures, one with the "unpowered" color and one with the "powered" color?

Also, I won't be making blocks out of these or anything, someone else will have to do that. I'll simply push the shapes and texture, or upload a .zip or something for someone to mess with.

Marcin Sciesinski

Code ALL the Ages!
Contributor
World
Architecture
Just a day or two too late, here is what I've got:

If you wish, you can help me with a texture for the cable I did myself, it is horrible, but it works for now:
https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology/blob/multiplayer/mods/signalling/assets/blockTiles/SignalCable.png

As for feedback on cable being powered or not, I'd go for "no" at the moment. Simply because that would be a lot of block updates on signal change in a network. If someway of knowing if there is a signal somewhere, player can just place a lamp next to it.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
A'nW - doh! Just a slight bit too late, even if very nice. We are going to need some sort of "switch" shape though that's kinda like a torch, in up/down versions. Or a button :)

Maybe wire can overheat visibly later via texture, but that might indeed take a lot of extra work. We do need a replacement texture for the basic cable + textures for the other blocks

A'nW

Contributor
Art
Hey there Cervator, actually, sorry about this, but someone else will have to do that. I might as well post this now. I will be pretty much gone from the project from now on (for the foreseeable future anyway). I really love Terasology, the community, and what is happening with the game, so its nothing on your guy's part. I just have to many other things I do to keep involved in this (and lets be real, I haven't exactly been the model of an active, dependable community member anyway... ). So, I like what is going on here, but so long. I'll be watching from the outskirts from now on. I pretty much have been anyway.

To everyone else who may read this and are waiting for some more tutorials: Sorry, one or two little videos may come out, but nothing major, and I wouldn't count on anything.

I doubt anyone really even cares, but I wanted to preface my sudden departure so that those couple people who might wonder where I went would sort of know. I'll still be around, I just won't be doing anything for the project for awhile.

metouto

Contributor
Art
I'm sorry to see you leave A'nw ..... I always loved your work and efforts and your videos my friend :cry: .... but real life does us many turns we have to deal with each day ..... may your journeys be safe ones :coffee:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
A'nW - that's fine and perfectly understandable, RL comes first. Still very much appreciate the work you've done and will miss updates from you - yeah, people care :)

I wish you best of luck with RL responsibilities and hope stuff clears up in the future so we can see more good stuff from you again!