Implementation Josharias Survival

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
Name: Josharias Survival
Summary: A gameplay module that brings together a set of modules that provide a simple "dont die" experience with a focus on advancing your technology.
Current Goal: More interesting underground world generation
Curator: Josharias
Organization of Development: https://waffle.io/terasology/joshariassurvival
Compatibility: Singleplayer, Multiplayer
Todo list:
  1. Variably sized layers of underground solids
  2. Hunger and Thirst
    • add more variety of foragable foods
Recent Changes:
Added integration with InGameHelp for all the workstation processes. (2015-08-25)

2015-08-25
  • Added integration with InGameHelp for all the workstation processes.
2015-05-05
  • Surface rocks can be made into crude tools
  • Reduce the amount of rocks generated on the surface
2015-05-03
  • Added Hunger and SimpleFarming. And blueberries.
2015-01-06
  • Added IRLCorp module to provide automation of ores
2014-12-10
  • Added Manual Labor module to provide basic tools for digging

Last edited:

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
Added Manual Labor module to provide basic tools for digging. This includes:
  • Default ore generation: coal, iron, tin, copper.
  • Crafting tools: hammer, metal file, pliers, wrench, screwdriver, saw
  • Digging tools: hammer, pickaxe, shovel, axe

chessandgo

Contributor
Hunter
Cool, will there be a "part 2" where it focuses on advancing your tech, like industrial craft 2 or Build craft, since you do have all the raw a materials needed for stuff like that....

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
Chessandgo: That could be in part 4 or 5. :)

Also, is anybody good at mod spotlight style videos? I kind of suck at that sort of thing, and could really use some in game footage of this stuff.

chessandgo

Contributor
Hunter
Josharias: while not bad, I'm not necessarily good. I'm also not a famous youtuber. I'm pretty good at video editing though. Perhaps make some videos then turn them into short webms to show on the subreddit? Or just have a silent video and have it dubbed, tailer like. Although, if you're trying to promote terasology to non-terasology user, i think a video of how easy it is to play your mod would be cool. Show a speed up video of you downloading terasology and running it, then just click a little box to apply your mod. That'd blow their mind. Also, perhaps to get some publicity, you could open a dogecoin wallet. Then i could go over to /r/dogecoin and say "Blah blah blah dev of yack yack yack now accepts dogecoin". They'll think thats cool, check out what Terasology is, and probably like it, being opensource and free. There is some dogecoin minecraft servers, but there is not many (/r/dogefest), so i could easily seeing it become the majority, with it being free, and open source.

chessandgo

Contributor
Hunter
Added IRLCorp module to provide automation of ores. Presently it includes:
  • Automatic crushing, grinding, and sawing
  • Conveyor belts
Nice. i was wondering how verbose you are going to get with stuff like this. Will there be generator blocks, or will we have to build generators by spinning a a magnetic rod inside a coil of copper blocks. (and stuff like that). Personally, I'm not against either. I've seen the first in things like IC^2 (and would like to have it, for nostalgia, compatibility, clone, and usage sake.) But I've never seen the second done, and thought it would be cool. Obviously in order to the second you'd have to get some pretty good moving block physics (something we need anyway). Thought it would be cool to implement both as different scales of each other. (in order to kick start the industrial age you need electricity, which you have get with a generator structure. once you got that you can make a generator block. And then if you need to have even more, you can get more generator blocks, or build a giant generator structure).

Of course you probably wont do this, but, can't hurt to ask, and might as well get the idea out there, so someone else can.

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
build generators by spinning a a magnetic rod inside a coil of copper blocks.
There are a couple minecraft mods that do something like this. For your own inspiration, check out BigReactors (youtube) and ReactorCraft (youtube). You are right, something that complex is definitely out of scope at this time.

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
Multiplayer issue where one is unable to activate station processing has been fixed.

metouto

Contributor
Art
:omg: Josharias that video is really good :thumbsup::love: :thumbsup:

Questions ......
  • 1)When you used the conveyor belt was the ore suppose to show up on the top as the conveyor belt moved
  • 2)When you cleaned up the ore where did the rock go ..... was it still in the sifter or did it go into your inventory or maybe it was lost in the clean up and not recoverable
  • 3)Did you make your own items (hammer ......) & ores ( iron chunks ......):geek: and if so what program did you use if I may ask????
I hope you will make us some more videos when you have the time. They really get my imagination going. Again thanks for sharing ;)

Last edited:

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
Thanks Metouto! My first talking video on youtube. I definitely need more practice at this sort of thing, I missed a bunch of things. Oh well, makes for follow up videos.

1. Yeah, the items were supposed to show up on the belt. There is another video on my channel showing this. It was a shame I had not found that out before the demo. I have almost fixed that bug.
2. The separated rocks went into my inventory I pulled it out with a shift-click to #2 hotbar slot.
3. I did end up making my own items. Some inspiration came from the tools you have made previously! I used Gimp. My general procedure for making them was to start off with a solid color in the shape I wanted, select the solid color area (so that drawing is constrained to the solid color), then apply texture using a dark color paint brush in a 3 pixel radius with < 50% opacity. Seemed to give an OK effect. Good enough for programmer art. ;)

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Extremely cool! And your voice work was fine, if very quiet, had to max all my volume settings to hear at what sounded like a normal casual conversation level :)

Very nice to have a video like this, easy to forget just how much stuff is in JS (although wah no windmills!) - I plan to use it as a headliner when I finally describe and announce stable 50 sometime tomorrow. I only see the demo command added recently, so I figure everything else in the video would be in the last stable build? Was done last weekend. I'll go on that assumption unless you say otherwise :coffee:

Also makes me badly want to get back to involving creatures in the process, so you can set up processes as a player, but use creature power to augment, and later machine power to augment on top :D Much potential to then add in interesting maintenance to keep things running.

Keep up the good work!

chessandgo

Contributor
Hunter
I like how the bushes start out as slabs, usually bushes are made to start out as stems, which have their place, but i think more monolithic plants deserve them (trees, corn, etc)
The leaf progression was interesting. will this be season controlled?

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
I think I've got some blue berry (and probably other berries) icons floating around, let me know if you are interested ;)

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
@chessandgo, not season controlled. Although that is a neat idea for future improvements. :)

@Skaldarnar, you didnt like my blue circles to represent blueberries? <snicker> I am completely interested. Now that the functionality has basically been done (this was already v2, the first try at this was too cumbersome), I can figure out what plants to put into the module. Github push coming soon.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
I was probably wrong, cannot find any blue berries :( Pinging @Trekmarvel to carry the can for my fault and encourage him to go on with the plant icons :D