WIP [LaS] Light and Shadow - Art Discussion

glasz

Contributor
Art
Maybe later we could include different eyes textures set to add some expressivity along the animated texture line that was discussed a while ago.

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
I think I prefer the hands vs. no hands look. Can you get the hand to grasp the spear instead of palm it? ;) Otherwise, i think the hands are preferable anytime a weapon is drawn. Something about having them gives everything an added feel of motion that just works. Especially when you can see his opposite hand moving in the sort of opposite direction as part of the attack. I think the off-hand would probably be clenched into a fist as well during the attack.

I like the spear render too!! And the animations are great! :)

Nice work glasz, thank you.

glasz

Contributor
Art
Considering the rook : it's very nice as allways but kind of stands appart from the rest, looking less like a chess piece, much more like a real animal, unlike the knight for instance. So i thought i'd make a sketch of what i had in mind. It's not good/finished concept art in any way, just a basis for discussion, so tell me what you think :) :

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
Combo of yours and mine? I think I'll make the head even more upright like yours but maybe keep the battlement on the back ...

image.jpg

glasz

Contributor
Art
Counter-proposition ( i kind of like it when its more symetrical and totemic) :

Well maybe with a bigger head....what do you think ?

glasz

Contributor
Art
Yeah i like this rook. It's nice and you don't want to mess with him.
I notice we have one more piece than in regular chess. So i guess at some point we can invent our own pieces? I say at some point cause thats a lot of work allready :D
I'm working on the red queen, i'll need some backup at some point ....

A little inspiration in the meanwhile :

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
How did I miss King Crimson all these years? Fits perfectly. Thanks for sharing. =)

Yes, that IS a lot of work already. And it doesn't help that I made these increasingly more difficult to model! And yes, I think it'd be awesome to branch out and create new chess pieces as well at some point.

I've got the Black side all sketched out in my head and mostly on paper - their rook is going to be a rhino. I think it'll work nicely. Anyway, that'll take a little time to cook in Inkscape.

Hey A'nW, wanna give a few pieces a go? The other thing we'll eventually need modeled are various landscape elements like the backgammon/poker token trees, etc. I may give a few of those a try since they're pretty simple.

Hopefully we can gather some more interest in this concept. I think it has a lot of potential. :)

glasz

Contributor
Art
red queen (no arms or weapons yet) :

I'm using some texture alpha for the crown but it doesn't look very well for some reason :/

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
Hahaha :) Man! I love the little saunter in her step. You rock glasz. What a sweet model.

glasz

Contributor
Art

I will leave chess world for a little while, i need to work on my personal stuff, hope some of our fine modelers will show up...

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
Thanks for getting the ball rolling. It was really inspiring to see my concepts in 3D. Hopefully this will help generate some interest in the idea.

Great collaborating with you!

Rouv

good idea´s, graphic´s and nice animations i like it :)
Dont know what was youre idea(i dont read all) but i think it must in a seperate world or dungeon or something ;)