WIP Metal Renegades - wild west meets robots

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Fancy and nice :) Still scary looking, but I'm not sure Blender could ever be made non-scary.

"clic" to "click" in a few places

Page 3 - what does "translate the object" mean? Maybe a clarification?

Very cool to see the connection between the robot concept art and the initial Blender shape on the following pages - although I thought that as of page 11 which then turned out to be the last current page, hehe

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
You know what else would make this a really fun, cool game. If you could build your own robots out of pieces. Say there are 10 predefined "head" models, 10 bodies, 10 arms, 10 treads/legs to start with, and you can combine them to various effect. Maybe resource gathering allows you to unlock more / better parts and you can further construct the robots - now with combinations of old and new parts.

And you could create your own hybrid mixes of robots. Like, say there's a "mining" arm that's a drill and has a +20 drill effect. But it could also be used as a weapon in a pinch.

So you could create and send out your minions like a Real Time Strategy game, but still play and build and explore in first person mode.

glasz

Contributor
Art
Hey

As for the tutorial it was asked for by metouto, who then never showed up again, so i thought it wasnt worth spending more time on it.

Yep i thought about that modular robot thing. As you said there could be a base motrice unit, that could be a number of legs, or wheels, or tracks, etc..., then a main trunk module that would hold the batteries and stuff, as well as connectors for arms/weapons/tools, and head/sensors...

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I think that tutorial would be hugely useful in general, not only for @metouto to have something to learn and do :)

The modularity piece sounds great and a robot like that is a perfect candidate. Dooooo eeeet!

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Arise, old thread, arise! :devil:

Although this hasn't got an update for about 3 years there's a lot happening regarding the Metal Renegades game mode. Google Summer of Code projects in 2019 and 2020 advance the technical foundation to bring the old-west world to live and give players incentive to explore and influence the world.
The main reason I'm bringing this back to live, however, is talk about the art and style of Metal Renegades. This should include not only UI design such as icons and textures (@Stefania Mak might have a word on this), but also the building style of the generated cities (after finishing the Hjerl Hede line-up recently @niruandaleth and @Skaldarnar may take up this task), and landscape features (pinging @Sin3point14 as our new world-gen expert ).

I started to prepare a Metal Renegades - Design Document to collect references and ideas around the artifical style of the game mode (not so much about technical details or gameplay features). Everybody should be able to comment in that document, if you want to edit please drop me a note so that I can add you to the editors.