SFX Factory - Other Side: Complete

Exile

Contributor
Art
Re: SFX, BGM

@ Cerv, thanks for the suggestion! Made the file sizes smaller on the FX, so it should fit as an attachment.

@ Immortius, Nice input. I put alot of content into each track and .ogg reduces this alot. Even with 160kbps .ogg, the Dimlight file size is STILL 3.6mb compared to C418's which range from 300kb to 1mb (around 7mb in .WAV). I can make the tracks more looped or less expansive but that will come down to testing. We can edit versions and re-format them at request. It won't bother us one bit, as we're more than obliged to help.

Exile

Contributor
Art
Re: SFX Factory - Water FX added*

The first 3 packs of SFX are attached to the post but it's limited to 3, so I've gone back to a file uploader for the Water pack :p

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

Ahh - I see, max attachments of 3 per post. I wonder if there isn't a way to attach stuff to the new post you make when introducing a new file, then referencing that attachment directly with a link from the original post :)

Exile

Contributor
Art

Cervator said:
Ahh - I see, max attachments of 3 per post. I wonder if there isn't a way to attach stuff to the new post you make when introducing a new file, then referencing that attachment directly with a link from the original post :)
Too much effort, considering we can have way more files in one .rar :D Thanks again for the suggestions. Check the new water FX :p

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

Will do when I get home - thanks!

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

Okay, got the water ones and fire now

HighJump and WalkInWater sound very "tunnelly" to me - does that make sense? Bubbles and exit are fine :)

Little hard to hear what's going on with Underwater - parts of it sound realistic, other parts sound kind of like a washing machine? Might need more bubbly noises? Or just more typical watery swishy gurgly sounds. Yeah, gurgly! That's totally the word.

Fires 1-3 sound great, 4 has a tiny bit of the tunnelly bit to it again it seems like :) It might be tricky to transition between them though since they sound similar but at a distinctly different pitch?

Oh, and I meant attach compressed files, not individuals :D

But yeah, I dunno if you can easily link to an attachment in a different post...

Thanks again, good stuff in there! And I still am not sure if I at all know what I'm talking about! :D

Exile

Contributor
Art
Re: SFX Factory

No need to doubt yourself. That was feedback we were looking for. Sometimes, post processing effects won't work as well on the next sound made and alot of the time can produce that 'tunnely' sound.

We'll fix them up but we weren't sure how to go about making Fire looping fx, so we made one sound and messed with the timings a bit to spark any ideas, like different burning sounds for different blocks would yield a similar sound with a different pitch. Does a fire crackling loop require multiple files just for one effect? :p

Will upload them when completed and then post here

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

Oh, good point. I'm still just thinking about the footsteps we have in-game currently - 6 different varieties and randomly picked from. Hadn't thought about the idea of just looping one thing... :geek:

Exile

Contributor
Art

Cervator said:
Oh, good point. I'm still just thinking about the footsteps we have in-game currently - 6 different varieties and randomly picked from. Hadn't thought about the idea of just looping one thing... :geek:
That's how minecraft handles a few sounds also (4 footstep sounds for each BlockType). We'll try integrate a more loopable fire crackling effect, variety is key, thanks!

Good to note that one loop would be plain as day :cool:

You are very active with the sound testing, we will rely on you! May begin the next track demo tomorrow as well.

Exile

Contributor
Art
Re: SFX Factory - Fixed*

Just fixed the Fire and Water FX packs.

Water:
  • Removed Water Breathing (now combined with generic Underwater looping)
  • Removed Water Walking (will be added in footstep package)
  • Added Underwater 1, 2 & 3 for random looping
  • Added WaterEnter
  • Fixed WaterExit
Fire:
  • Removed Fire 1-4
  • Added Fire Crackling 1, 2 & 3 for random looping

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

Good stuff :)

I really like the crackling fire, think that'll work well - little less repeaty with longer sounds (I think they're longer?) and easier to switch them around if need be.

Splashy water sounds good, having a hard time hearing the underwater bubbly ones (wifey listening to loud tv). Which gave me a nice surprise with high volume on my headset when underwater gurglies turned into SPLASH!

Begla put some of the initial effects into the code earlier today (https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasol ... c94e400877) - the explodey and smiley sounds (plus dimlight during the night!) should be available in-game now :)

Exile

Contributor
Art

Awesome :) Leave me a list of volume adjustments to make. Wasn't sure if the programmer was able to augment things like volume, so we're relying on your feedback again :) Will fix them tomorrow

(which sounds need to be louder, which sounds need to be quieter?)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

My wife's TV needs to be quieter :p

Don't worry about the volume settings, I think we need to get the feel for it in-game when we get a chance to actually make water trigger sfx :)

Also, stuff really goes BOOM now with the explodey tool. Yay!

Exile

Contributor
Art

Cervator said:
My wife's TV needs to be quieter :p

Don't worry about the volume settings, I think we need to get the feel for it in-game when we get a chance to actually make water trigger sfx :)

Also, stuff really goes BOOM now with the explodey tool. Yay!
That's great! :) Just let us know

metouto

Contributor
Art

Are the sounds in the lastest version ?

If yes, then I have a problem with my sound on my coumputer or it is not working so good for me.

Because all I hear is "muddle" ( :?: ) sound bits all comming through the speakers at once ... it is not a pretty sound at all

And it not what I hear when I click on the sounds put on the first post by SFX Factory.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

Yep - lots of sound in the current release

Other sorts of sounds on that machine works fine? Able to play music etc? How's the other machine you have access to?

If everything else works fine we have two things to try

http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/ ... Viewer.zip - says it is able to show information on OpenAL compatible devices (soundcards) on your computer, which may help us figure out if OpenAL has similar issues to OpenGL on certain older laptops - if this is actually your laptop not working?

http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/ ... alinst.zip - the actual standalone installer for OpenAL. We embed OpenAL within Terasology, so you don't technically need OpenAL installed, but maybe it'll fix it anyway? Might be worth a shot.

If we find a good time on IRC I can probably help out with the steps if need be :)

Exile

Contributor
Art

Also worth noting whether MineCraft has the same effect on his audio?

metouto

Contributor
Art

I had not thought about that Exile :oops: there is a place I go to play MineCraft for free (can't give you address because I'm at work and they have it blocked :roll: ) but at that place all sounds work fine.

If we find a good time on IRC I can probably help out with the steps if need be :)
I will try to be on sometime Sunday afternoon Cervator if not I will be on early Monday maybe we can work on my IntelliJ setup working fully also .... :)

Exile

Contributor
Art
Re: SFX Factory - New BGM*

New BGM demo is up, called 'Resurface' (maybe from mines or sunrise, or resurfacing in general).

Fits the length & size of the real C418 tracks picked by Notch for MineCraft. They are smaller loops as MineCraft doesn't always have music playing :)

Give a helping hand, name the changes/fixes and we'll act on it immediately!

NOTE: Probably best that it isn't used as the final version! We plan to add more dynamics to the track and any additional updates we get from you guys.

Enjoy