unified graphic style

glasz

Contributor
Art
Hehe :) yep theres a very interesting discussion following the article, including a mention of Dwarf Fortress that might interest someone ;) I must play DF...

woodspeople

Contributor
Design
If you follow the link in one comment to the "loneliness" game (excuse me "notgame") here you can see how fancy your graphics have to be to evoke a memorable experience. Wow.

EDIT: Also, if you look up Scott McCloud's work on Understanding Comics, he has some stuff about how simple comics give people more scope for imagination than detailed illustrations that specify, thus constrain, what they can imagine. So there is an argument that less is more in terms of building imaginary worlds.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
If you follow the link in one comment to the "loneliness" game (excuse me "notgame") here you can see how fancy your graphics have to be to evoke a memorable experience. Wow.

EDIT: Also, if you look up Scott McCloud's work on Understanding Comics, he has some stuff about how simple comics give people more scope for imagination than detailed illustrations that specify, thus constrain, what they can imagine. So there is an argument that less is more in terms of building imaginary worlds.
Neat "notgame" ! Thanks for sharing :)

Double_A

Contributor
Art
glasz: I got a question about your sketches.
Where do the detached limbs start? It looks like they start at the elbow/knee, right? That would make sense for the animation...

The problem is, that it looks kinda strange on creatures with long thighs... :-/

glasz

Contributor
Art
The rule was to "erase" the upper legs/arms above knee/elbow yes, and the neck. But its not carved in stone. I'm working on a giraffe, and decided it would be a shame to drop the neck completely so i decided to add intermediary sections :

Not sure if that works or not, same for the legs as they are. For long legs maybe we could split the leg in 2 sections : the tip and a middle section (like around the knee).

So it's kind of open, and experimentations are welcome :)

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
The 3D model via the 2D page is insane! Love it. Journey is really inspirational. Everyone should play it.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Gnomoria looks adorable :D

Reminds me of Sim City 2000 for some reason. Must be the hills.

Looks radically different than anything we have currently though?

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Now that is pretty clever and cute :)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi poVoq :)

Yeah that's a nice style (interestingly it seems similar to @glasz's disembodied look), low poly count is good, very detailed texture though. Main issue might be that, well, somebody else drew it and based on his comments on the site he doesn't have time to really dedicate to more of them :)

Good example - thanks!