WIP [LaS] Light and Shadow - Art Discussion

Chrisk

Music Weaver
Contributor
Art
hey Chrisk, do you think you could come up with a nice "overworld" L&S themesong for us? And maybe some "under attack" kind of music?

Any idea, what kind of mood would be fitting for the "Light & Shadow" world? I got some ideas, but I'm not quite statisfied how they turned out, maybe something like a dream world atmosphere? I don't think the overall relaxing Terasology mood would fit.

Edit:
I uploaded my current state of work to soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/chriskoebke/terasology-light-and-shadow. The idea was to create a kind of dream-worldish atmosphere :)

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
hey Chrisk.

Thinking about it again, I'm thinking maybe three different tracks would be great to begin with. It'd be nice if they had a degree of flow or break points that could flow into each other. That's not a must though, whatever transition makes sense. I'm thinking sort of in terms of like a Zelda-esque sound track wherein there's an adventurous main theme as sort of the primary "theme" of the game. Then perhaps a lighter, background, ambiant type thing for just general background music as you build and go about "task" type activities. And lastly something that would work well in combat. Kind of a two armies clashing kind of thing that could be triggered when a new wave of enemy pawns spawns.

If you can somehow combine adventure with turn of the century toys ... I'm not exactly sure ... how

Theme music: Maybe something a little swashbucklery?
Battle music: Maybe something that would drive inspiration is like a victorian-era toy soldier battle?
Ambient, background: Something lighter, maybe work the sort of toy-music box thing into it now and then like you did with the White Chamber music?

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
Chrisk - I finally had a chance to listen to what you created. I think this would actually be prefect for the lighter, ambient theme in the background. It has enough of an edge to it that it feels nice, but not soothing. Which is perfect. There's a little bit of tension in there. :) For the "fighting" version of this music, maybe it flows into a more drum heavy, kind of angry vibe? And I think there are many elements of this you could work into a main theme as well.

Very nice work, as always.

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
In terms of our rudimentary, phase I goal of basically "getting something playable" (aka L&S Testable); is there anything I can do to help things along?

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
In terms of our rudimentary, phase I goal of basically "getting something playable" (aka L&S Testable); is there anything I can do to help things along?
Badger would-be developers on IRC :D

Like Eliwood :p

Let me know somebody if you can arrange issues on GitHub into L&S milestones, you might be in a better position to do that than me. So we can have the first testable, first playable (pawn storm), maybe another one or two (kill the king! Earlier "map"), then finally polish

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
Was re-listening to Chamber of Darkness as well ... That may be a great bridge between the above and "fight" music during a battle sequence.

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
I like the Points = Barriers thing ... kind of cool since you rack up points as you go and need the barriers more as you go. The Dice Launcher concept could function like their cannon.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Hehe, nice. :)

One more reason to support different types of leveling frameworks (related to the professions discussion on IRC). In this simple case one XP per Mob work great with the game type.

The dice launcher fits perfectly. How about a Card Thrower, where the cards can split Mobs in half (if they are tall enough)?

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

glasz

Contributor
Art
Yeah i was pondering about the tongue. Problem is I might end up having more geometry for an organic looking tongue than from the whole model. And also a bit a tricky to animate (without the use of scaling bones since the md5 format doesnt support scaling bones). I'll think about it :)

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
Pawn Storm Overview
The goal of the Pawn Storm module will be to:

1. Defend your king from attack
  2. Kill the enemy king
To do this the player will:
  1. Build walls and attack enemy pawns in order to defend the king
  2. Kill the opposing King
The gameworld should spawn a rectangular playing field. Each side will start with a set number of friendly NPC guards to assist in defending the King. The gameworld should spawn with two NPC generating towers that send out Attackers. These NPCs only purpose is to attack the opposing faction. The towers should generate increased numbers of Attackers with ever increasing frequency.
The player will start with no defensive structures and must construct them himself, before going on the offensive to attack the opposing enemy king.
A maze will splice the middle of the map to make it slightly more difficult to traverse. The maze should be made of unbreakable walls.

Pawn Storm Milestones:
1. Zerg-based AI for Pawns
a. Simple AI that can target the:
i. Player
ii. NPC
iii. Block
Closest to it and attack it in the above order of priority
2. Basic combat
a. Simple hand to hand (melee) combat for the AI and Player

3. Fixed dimension Pawn Spawner (Tower)
a. The tower or towers that generate pawns to attack players
b. The rate of spawn generation should be variable and customizable. Spawn rate will increase in frequency and number of Pawns as the game progresses
c. Should be destroyable – this is the victory condition

4. Unbreakable Blocks
a. Used for the maze walls and floor

5. Maze Generator
a. The maze should be randomized every time

6. Multiplayer Support
a. Used for the maze walls and floor

7. Enemy Pawn Model
· Should have movement animations
· Should have combat animations
· Should have death animations
· Should have

8. Friendly Pawn Model

9. Player Model

10. Friendly King Model

11. Enemy King Model
· Should have

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Good material, although it might need a quick review - looks like you got a few stray "Should have" lines and some stuff out of place ("6. Multiplayer support; a. used for the maze walls and floor" - wha?)

Some of those items we have on GitHub already, some might need to have a few of your notes from here added.

Combat - first version might be the "cheating" way danger cubes hurt the player, unrelated to the combat system nh_99 is working on, later when that works in the multiplayer branch it can be used in L&S (currently only archery works)

Are the numbers milestones or issues? They sound like issues but you prefaced with "milestones" :)

Or issues in the "Pawn Storm" milestone, which I think is like the 2nd or 3rd envisioned milestone? I might be off, been a while

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
Thanks for the read through guys ... sorry for all my cut/paste booboos. I was hurrying out the door last Friday and slammed all that in without proofing. Mostly I want to get a general sense (high level) of the milestones and what sounds feasible to everyone. I revised my thinking about the overall gameplay given that we have multiplayer in place. Kind of reverting back to that idea of a mirrored game space with the maze at the center. I figured that might work better for two players. Any other thoughts on what we should include in the Pawn Storm phase?