Monsters

Ten'son'

Contributor
World
I think that since there's an Animals topic, there should be a Monsters topic! :D

I played Terraria (http://www.terraria.org/) wich is a kind of 2D Minecraft action-oriented, and there are lots of cool monsters in it. Like the big worms coming out of the dirt (or in caves):

Also the possibility to invoke 'boss' monsters like the 'Eye of Cthulu' :

Could be awesome monsters! 8D

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yeah Terraria is pretty nice :)

We could probably use some monster concept art if somebody wants to throw some together.

glasz

Contributor
Art
There's allways use for a dragon ;)

A sandworm in the desert, digging underground tunnels and destroying buildings, that could be nice.

dei

Java Priest
Contributor
Design
Art
Sandworms reminds me of ... hmm ... Tremors! perfect monsters for our half-underground world.... You could use the old tunnels for transportation, always at the risk of encountering an inhabitant of course. Like it!

HeadClot

Sandworms reminds me of ... hmm ... Tremors! perfect monsters for our half-underground world.... You could use the old tunnels for transportation, always at the risk of encountering an inhabitant of course. Like it!
Sand worms - Just the name reminds me of Frank Herbert's Dune Series.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yeah Tremors is more like the second thought that comes to mind for me, but haha I remember that. Definitely a good idea for the underground, if perhaps a little trickier to implement. The GelCubes themselves might eventually develop a liking for the subterranean, natural habitat after all and they make perfectly cubic tunnels ;)

And yeah, it would be neat to see a dragon, also because it would be a good point of reference for the game art style. How would you make one that fits in well. Won't know till we see an example!

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
if you gonna include worms you'll need harvesters (looks at the old dune 1 game copy he saved on his harddrives and feels like replaying it)

Would be a nice idea for a remake : Terasology Dune

HeadClot

if you gonna include worms you'll need harvesters (looks at the old dune 1 game copy he saved on his harddrives and feels like replaying it)

Would be a nice idea for a remake : Terasology Dune
That would be awesome in all honesty.

I know some people who LOVE Frank Herbert's Dune and would love to make an FPS/RTS Hybrid of it.

Dune would fit that quite nicely :)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Make it so! Grab the code and implement vehicles! :D

Okay, that might take a little while, but... yeah.

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
only dune game I ever enjoyed playing was dune 1.

take one of those chopper things and explore the desert in search of camps and harvesters, build hydro phonics, expand population, train troops. + you had some adventure theme mixed in. I really would have loved it if they had kept the same gameplay.

The exploration bit would fit in nicely, even if you had to do it on foot. So would the building. Potential :p

Paul Muad Dhib says: it is one thing to see the path and another one to actually walk it.

Muad Dhib out.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Bump! HeadClot - are you still out there and working on a dragon for us? :D

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

HeadClot

Ok, Back with a new computer!

But I have some bad news... I cannot get max to register on my new PC...

Working it out with Autodesk now.

However I am familiar with blender (aka my first 3D Package) and I just need a scale reference for the player's scale.

I do not want a mini dragon or mini player Character

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Heya HeadClot, you aren't the only one who had to get new hardware! :D

You could probably scale to the monkeyhead - that's from Blender and everything. Shows in game as a little smaller than one block (tho something randomizes the size so they can be tiny as well). Player is about two blocks tall, camera may be a little too low these days though.

HeadClot

Ok, Just finishing something up will have a preview by the morning. :)

Thanks for getting back to me on that Cervator.

RampageMode

Contributor
Art
i think we should do some basic monsters first (zombies/walker/...) and then we can think about advanced monsters (dragon shaped blood sucking zombie space maya robots or vampires, dragons, aliens,...)
but this awesome fancy stuff after we did some basic monsters and mechanics

glasz

Contributor
Art
Time to get working on these monsters i'd say, otherwise this word of ours will be just, *gasp*, cute... lets add some uglyness shall we ? Let's explore the darkest corners of our twisted souls and make a list. You can include in you own list a monster that has allready been mentionned, it will be considered a vote for that specific creature.

-zombi
-troll
-dragon
-minotaur
-gargoyle
-sphynx
-naga
-giant sand worm
-wight (?)
-cthulhu if he's not copyrighted
-balrog, same as above
-pink poney
-flying chainsaws
-freddy krueger
-aunt jenny

hmm....not sure about the last two. You got to help me out people.