WIP [LaS] Light and Shadow - Art Discussion

UberWaffe

Contributor
Design
Perhaps requiring the player to define the building area (3D area occupied, from corner to corner) using the blueprints.
That way the code will at least know within which bounds to run the building rule checks, along with checks for peripherals such as furnace and anvil.

In fact, as a inbetween step it might be easier to just make the player directly designate (i.e. right-click) the peripherals using the blueprints, and just run a check if it is close enough to the defined building to be valid.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Huh, updated my post already, but was not fast enough :D I thought about using a grammar for such test as well (as Cervator suggests from time to time), but I think a mixed approach would be markedly faster.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
UberWaffe - oohhh, nested spoilers. Did not know we could do that. Cool. MoSCoW looks great.

Yeah I keep pestering Skaldarnar for some magic inverse grammar that can test selections against a specific type of building :D

Talked to Marcin Sciesinski some on IRC about multi block and structures and yeah we need some design there, might be worth its own incubator rather than keep at it in here :)

My waay earlier design centered on defining workshops with a cubic selection and a desire to call it "x" - basing its quality on the stuff inside said selection. I think that could still be done and it might be easier than "intelligently" trying to determine what's included or deducing what the player is trying to build. So the "break specifically labelled champagne bottle on wall" approach when you're happy with the building.

Nothing really prevents us from then also providing some template blueprints the player can use as a guide or that we can use to begin with to cheat (right click block with tool get completed building generated). Heck, the template blueprints can be based on the existing grammar system.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I like the marble mouse idea itself, but for once I'm not sure that one would fly - texture-wise at least. I know marbles usually are "marbled" but that would take a whole lot of resolution :)

I vaguely remember some marbles from Denmark that instead of a marbled texture had a small simple (yet warped slightly?) 2d surface embedded within the marble with a few colors on it. Produced a real neat effect as the marble rolled. Could we somehow work something geometric related to L&S "inside" the marbles? Although then how do you really illustrate the surface well. Maybe something similar to the GelCubes with a translucent outer layer

Could be cool if an interior 2d image could be seen tumbling around as the marble rolls? Could be something as simple as a red/black diamond. I don't know if it would work though. Nor how much work the 3d wizardry would be.

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
cutter.png

A page out of the esteemed Sir Marlow's Bestiary.

The Cutter's wings are playing cards (the reverse side is shown). I thought a "page out of a bestiary" motif might be a fun, thematic way to introduce some of the critters.

UberWaffe

Contributor
Design
I see catapults flinging cutter-hives in the nearby future.:D

"Need to storm the fort?
It's full of reds that poke you with pointy-hurty-things?
Deliver unto them from upon high* the new cutter-bomb-3000!
See them squirm, hear them scream!
Soon you can storm the fort filled with naught but sleeping-twitching reds!"**

*Should only be used in conjunction with the new catapult-3000-XL, or warranties do not apply.
**Queen-Inc cannot be held liable for any injuries and complications caused by still lingering cutter swarms.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hehe, good to see that piece go up. Nice touch with the "Harmless" banner in a pretty font, and the size comparison is still great :D

Will be funny to write them an AI where they group up for no reason other than hop over each other again and again.

As for model conversion I wonder if the legs are too detailed - maybe they could have the sort of simple design like the "jumping dentures" wind-up toy where a hinged surface just pops open for locomotion? Could be two of them as particularly flat "feet" half-way or mostly under the piece?

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
Yeah, maybe just flat feet without any legs would work. We'll see what our modellers come up with. :) As long as they croak and jump over each other I'm good. :D

A'nW

Contributor
Art
Hey everyone, looking great! Anyway, here is the model for the Red King I made a while back. It was not doing anyone any good sitting on my computer and, since I don't have time to do anything else with it, I am just uploading it right here for anyone interested in collecting it. glasz , you might want it to add to your collection of other pieces since you have been doing most of the the other pieces. :) It is just a .zip file with the .obj model, its .mtl file and its diffuse color map. Its whatever though.

Attachments

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Haha, Rinzor is awesome. And they're all great, can't wait to get them in-game. Thanks for coming up with that bestiary approach :D

That's a really novel AI scenario too. We're going to have to introduce some shag carpets.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
basilix - great to have you back in action! Many thanks for the nice model, are you planning to do more of them? Maybe I should toss a few new issues on GitHub for the critters SuperSnark has made concept art for :)